Moles

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DavidR, May 6, 2008.

1. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

How do I get rid of them? I can't tell for sure if I have moles or voles but they destroyed a bit of my yard last year. Haven't seen any sign of them yet, but I want to be prepared. What is the best way to persuade them over to the neighbors yard:)

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I am convinced there is nothing you can do. I have tried everything, nothing seems to work. I tried sonic spikes this year and so far there have been some tunnels here and there, but it seems now that they are tunneling deep, they are pushing dirt up out of the ground forming mounds. I give up, I mean I cannot even see them now, I have no idea where to set a trap or put down some talrpid..

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Doing some research tonight about these pest and I discovered some different trapping methods and also read about cedarwood mothballs. These mothballs seem to be sold in the UK, but they are said to work. The Moles do not like the smell of them. I am willing to give it a shot, you just drop a few in the run next to the mound. I found them on ebay for 10 dollars for a 100..

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Identify the pest first, before you take any action...

If you have moles, they will eat earthworms and grubs. If you have voles, they will eat plant material, roots and girdle trees by chewing at the base of the tree bark. They are adequate control methods for both pests, but they are completely different. Whatever your prey, you must be vigilant, likely forever. Any of the homespun remedies are temporary at best, and most are a complete waste of time and money.

Moles can be controlled with a professional rodenticide called Talpirid and harpoon traps. Voles can be controlled with rodenticides in bait stations and mouse snap traps baited with peanut butter and/or apples slices. Even after control has been achieved, constant monitoring is necessary. These critters will breed somewhere else and return to your landscape with a vengeance.

Amy of the sprays, liquids or granules containing castor oil will chase both critters away for a while, until the rain or time lessens the effect and they will return to their destructive habits.

http://extension.umd.edu/publications/PDFs/FS654.pdf
    http://www.mypmp.net/pestcontrol/Fe...icle/detail/465288?searchString=moles & voles

Kirk

5. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the good information. Maybe I will add some castor oil to my mix when I put down the next round of weed killer. I could do without a few of the dogs in my yard anyway.

6. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Talpirid. You can all bicker amongst yourselves now, but it works.

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Talpirid. Great stuff. Keep your sent off it though or they won't go near it.