1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mow Man, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mow Man

Mow Man LawnSite Member

My operation is on the east coast at the N/S Cartolina border (Myrtle Beach). I have never noticed such a bad case of moles this early in the year. I am wondering if anybody else has experienced this as well this year. If so, do you think that it has something to do with our uncommonly cold winter? Also, what seems to be the best way to iradicate this as the little worms that I have been putting out don't seem to be working as good as usual . Please help!
  2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

i wolud put my 2 cents in but some "professionals" on here might object. Good luck
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe the moles have built up a tolerance to what you have been putting down all the time without changing your approach.
  4. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder LawnSite Member

Mow man,

I am just a couple hours south of you brother- we got hammered this year. Mole crickets also had a larger than normal hatch this year to boot. Send me a PM and I can give you some tips of what I did specific for our salty area. Good thing is the bastards are laying low now. The campaign will continue in a few months.
  5. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco sells a product that you hook up to a hose and will treat 10K. Has some type of oil in it that the moles do not like. It has worked like a charm for me.

Liquid Fence Mole repellent is the brand name.

Make sure to follow the directions to a tee.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  6. Curb_Appeal

Curb_Appeal LawnSite Member

Caster Oil
    Dont know from experience, but ive heard from plenty of older farmers that it does the trick
    Good luck
  7. rhyan6

rhyan6 LawnSite Member

Tailprid is the best i have ever seen on moles. Wear gloves so human sent does not get on the worms and you will be amazed good luck
  8. Hook and Ladder

Ok here is what I use: Dylox 6.2- I am sure you have a Lesco up there with the mass golf courses or a John Deere Landscaping store. I could link you but I am too lazy right now and swamped with these damn tax papers

Also Telstar from Lesco is a dozy. I have used both and had a few new customers due to the moles hauling ass after the mass exodus of grubs into the neighbors yard. (Shhh landscapers secret to get more customers)

Sorry to hear you busted your ass for a contractor license only to have the market tank. It sucks. I am a Paramedic/FF full time and do this on my days off. Got raked over the coals in the forums by some jackasses thinking this was a "hobby." Good reading for ya:

Always wanted to build a business and spent some time working on golf courses so what better way to have something to fall back on if I ever get hurt- Have had my own business going on 4 years now. Learning new things all the time. Being that you are up that way maybe consider going to CC to get your horticulture degree. Maybe even part time. Great stuff from what some of my buddies tell me. If I can ever off advice or help work through something new feel free to email. We got to be careful because our soils and tactics are very different than the rest of the world. Salinity is a *****.

One other thing for you- I use these guys often even though I am a true Gamecock and we have spent thousands of dollars to that university it kills me- Clemson Extensions offer great advice and cheap soil tests. (6$) Also the websites give great insight as to what and when to do things:

Hope this helps- Oh the Dylox ran me $45 a bag of granular. I could do 2 yards easily (1/2-3/4 acre) I am in the same boat as you with the liquid spraying. ITs a different world and set of problems. ;) I usually sub it out to a good friend of mine while he teaches me how to do it.

Take care-
  9. rhyan6

rhyan6 LawnSite Member

Dylox is great for grubs same as tailstar, those do not get ride of moles. Moles number one food is earth worms not grubs as many believe in. I use dylox for grubs works great.
  10. Hook and Ladder

I am switching to Caddyshack Tactics this year- can't find an old wooden detonator box though. Anyone got one?