1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

moles

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by msb1766, Jul 22, 2003.

1. msb1766

msb1766 LawnSite Member

How do I get rid of moles?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sweenys POISON PEANUTS, Kills Moles And Gophers

3. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

I tried every product on the shelf - nothing seemed to work.
    The only reportable success was with a 'choker' trap.

4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

i didn't think you could still buy these

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

4.49 This Past Spring.

6. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think if you get rid of the grubs you will get rid of most of the moles.If they have nothing to eat they will venture else where.I could be wrong though???

7. hustler1

hustler1 LawnSite Member

I've tried the "smoke bombs", water flooding, the poison peanuts, the mole "poison gel" stuff and have been putting a 5000 sq ft bag of grub killer on a 1000 sq foot area every 5 weeks now since April....no luck....the little suckers are still making more tunnels. They are small...tunnels only about 1 3/4 inch diameter. Theres no way they're eating grubs. I have a spear type trap I've been using for a week that has gone off a couple times with no deaths though. I'm seriously considering using electricity...would it kill them? If not I'm just about to go with the Caddyshack method of using propane and a fuse....I've had it with these damn things.....I'm in Michigan about 15 Miles north of Detroit

8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you are getting "hits" with your spear trap that is a good thing. Make sure the tunnels are very close to the surface as well, I always stick my finger down through the sod to see how deep the tunnel is. Next make sure you collapse the tunnel where you will place the trap. When you stick the trap in the ground make sure to run the spikes up and down a few times to ream out holes. this will make them snap down faster. Sometimes I have even had to push the spikes down to get them to go all the way.

I have had moles set off a spike trap 3-4 times before I got them. If the tunnels are over 2-3" down the spike traps may not work.

Look for a tunnel that seems to go somewhere, the ones that look like random tunneling are feeding tunnels and moles may or may not go back to them. If you see a long straight tunnel thats the one to go after. Also traps are cheap, buy a few more. Its Lot cheaper than all the money you spent on bait,poison,etc. If I get a tunnel that I am not SURE is a good one I will set 2-3 traps around to make sure I get the sucker.

Check out this site for help
    http://www.themoleman.com/

Here is a good site to buy traps.
    http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/gophermole.asp

9. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

All reports I'm hearing from the pro's is that Kaput mole bait gel is the thing that is working best for them. That's just what I've heard.

10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i saw a deal in this issue of TURF that injacts a certain amount of oxygen and propane into the tunned and has a spark mechanism on it and produces what they call a "controlled explosion" inside the tunnels

i'll post the name and site to it when i get home tomorrow