moles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lcopeland, Apr 28, 2004.

1. lcopeland

lcopeland LawnSite Member

Many of my clients have mole problems. What has everyone found best to take care of these annoying creatures? In addition, they are concerned about keeping their yards safe for pets.

2. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I got four moles last year with a pitchfork. I smashed down tunnels and came back about hour later, you can see them moving ( the ground rises as they move) aim your pitchfork towards the back when ground is moving, the reason for this is that once the pitchfork hits the ground the mole moves backwards. The mole will never go forward when stabbing the ground. Try to get with first blow, if you don't they are heading backwards at a very high speed. If you miss come back later, they will return. Thanks Terp

3. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Remove the food source and they will move along.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

As he said, you have a food source. The best way to rid the lawn of moles is to treat the grubs they are feeding on.

You will need to check with your local experts on pesticides for grubs this time of year. Timing is critical in trying to prevent grubs.

5. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search, everything imaginable was mentioned a few weeks back. And moles eat more than just grubs.

6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Moles main food source are earthworms. Kind of hard to get rid of those.

GW

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member