1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Moles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mike payne, Feb 7, 2005.

1. mike payne

mike payne LawnSite Member

Some of my customers are getting moles. Has anyone tried Kaput to get rid of moles? Is there a better way to get rid of moles?

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, check gopher in the search function. They were just talking about this last week. The main ways I remember is: Unchewed chewing gum, propane gas, or a .22LR. I think propane was the favored. If you find the thread, I put a link on a different site that was dealing w/ moles, gophers, etc. Sorry but I dont remember it.

3. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

There is a relatively new product on the market called Talpirid. It actually looks like a fishing worm but it is baited. You have to put it in the tunnel like Kaput but they are more attracted to worms. I've heard about good success with this from the guys at Lesco.

4. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

My dad's company has been using the worm type thing that is made from Bell Laboritories and they have had very good success with it. The only problem is the cost. It can be found at the following link Mole Bait from Bell Labs . The box of 20 worms was almost $80 to $100 :eek: . They were charging almost $300 for a treatment since there is at least one call back. The product is the best out there though. The tests have shown almost a 95% to 99% success rate.

5. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

I think you may be mistaken on that price. Here, the box of 20 worms is around $40. I'm not sure how many it takes per lawn though.

6. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

The price I said may have been for the box of 40.

7. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

We have been using Phoxtoxin for years (aluminum phosphide). You probe down as far as you can with a soil probe and drop a couple of pills down in the mounds (not the tunnels) and it gasses them out. Put as many around the lawn as you see mounds.
    Get a fumigant license first ! (hold your breath too)

8. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

A Phoxtoxin, I believe, is not a legal means of getting rid of moles. I know in South Dakota it is not. About two or three years ago there was a farmer that had moles in his yard and had some Phoxtoxin for fumigating a grain bin and put about an entire flask of the fumigant in a mound next to his house. He ended up killing some of his kids. Here is the article from a local news station.

9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

10. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

They shouldn't sell those things to just anybody...that's a sad story!
    We stay 15 ft away from all houses and other buildings that have life. An unattached garage or a barn is ok to get right up to the wall...plus no more pills than 2 should go down in the hole. The three companies that I have worked for the past 15 years have all used this product so I am assuming that it's legal in Ohio. We buy it from our pesticide wholesaler.