Momentum dry Application Dust cloud active ingrediant or fertilizer ?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Mgardner, May 16, 2004.

1. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

Just putting down some granular Momentum in 50# in a tight area with a slight breeze prevailing. All turfgrass was wet from heavy dew and decided to treat for broadleaf . Using Lesco broadcast speader like all weed and feed, creats a dust cloud. To my horror , I noticed this ominus slow moving cloud at the end of pass drifting into desirable plant beds (hostas, astilbe, and assorted annuals at edges. Is the dust coming from speader the active pesticide for broadleaf or would it be fert. ? Couldn`t find a thing on lable warning about dust drifting into desirables. :eek:

2. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

I guess no one else uses dry Momentum. My Lesco guy told me not to sweat it. The dust IS active ingrediant but probrably didn`t settle on the non-target plants being its so light. I do not plan to use any more dry apps for broadleaf control as the norm for us is to spot spray weeds and sell overseeding and aeration with 18-24-12.

3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

we do not have experience using granular momentum, but unlike your lesco guy, i would 'sweat it' having herbicide hit untargeted plants. Now most likely the 'cloud' did not do any perminate damage....but time will tell??

4. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

Yes, time will alone tell the truth. It would not be such a concern had it been customer that couldn`t care less, but this lady ,as elegant and wealthy as she is, hangs people at sunset for killing any of her flowers. Just watching that dust cloud settle through the beds made me very frustrated because DRIFT to me has always been a liquid spray issue, droplet size wind velocity.....and has been hammered and driven home during state testing more than any other issue. The thought never even occured that a dust cloud would be a problem,hell I put out 28.$ per 13.8K a bag . Dimension is granular and isn`t dusty. Honestly , if the product is Momentum and the active ingrediant is X and X percent of X how could it NOT translocate on the plant? Unless of course, and this is what I`m hanging me hat on, the dust particles did not adhere to the leaves of foliage ( turf was indeed very moist,but the larger bedding plants were indeed dry as a popcorn fart) Crimenetly conditions must have to be perfect to apply weed and feed dry. Never again .:eek:

5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I used Lesco's granular Momentum for the first time this year. Very dusty. I am thinking of using a dust mask the next time I use it (if I use it again!). After 10 lawns, I thought I could taste the stuff and I was coughing some. Kind of concens me.

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Mgardner, been a bout two weeks since your original post of the Momentum Cloud.......how are those flowers doing???

7. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

I always use liquid w/c... but my buddy is using dry Millennium w/ his fert. He told me that the "powder" IS the Millennium.
    It's small particle size will help it stick to the target weeds better.

I would *assume* that a cloud of this stuff drifting into flowers would torch them!

a yew or juniper could probably handle a little dry weed control but a flower or hasta?! doubt it