1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Momentum Rule of Thumb ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lost Pine, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

My Lesco distributor mentioned that you should not put Momentum on in HOT weather. Is there a rule of Thumb that anyone uses for temperatures that are prohibitive ?

WHat conditions do use use to get optimum performance from the product ???
  2. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

The majority of the herbicides on the market will have a temp restriction. I normally see 85 degrees the cut off. The temp setting is to cover the vendors a$$ more than ours. I have applied amine herbicides into the 90's with no damage. Would I apply an Ester in that heat? no, the vapors could float and cause damage and the alcohol could burn the turf. I would apply an Ester early in the morning even if the temps shot past 100 later in the day. Every lawn will react differently depending on the enviroment and wheter the turf is already under stress. use your judgement and experience to determine your applications.
  3. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Thresholds usually are around 85-90 degrees, but you shouldn't have any issues with Momentum. When mixed properly we have never had any turf damage. Always read the label. Just about everything you need to know other than common sense stuff is listed.
    I've attached the label for Momentum FX for your reference. View attachment Lesco Momentum label 6 oz for 4 gallons.pdf
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

We never worry about temperatures for weed killer. Although it seldom exceeds 90 around here. HOWEVER...If (like me) you mix fertilizer with the liquid solution burn is likely unless you reduce the concentration of fertilizer to low levels.

I also have heard that weed control cannot be absorbed by the weed if it crystallizes on the surface of the weed--so fast drying reduces weed control--in theory.