Momentum W&F

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dzd9fy, Jun 10, 2005.

1. dzd9fy

dzd9fy LawnSite Member

What is the key to getting Momentum Premium W&F w/ Polyvex to work? I used a broadcast spreader at the specified rate early in the morning when the dew as still heavy, but have yet to see much of an impact on the weeds.

I am looking to clear up clover, violets, dandi's and such.

When is it safe to reapply?

Did Lesco lead me astray? Should I be using something else? :dizzy:
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use shaws 15-3-5 w/Millenium ultra on some properties that i cant reach by truck & hose (liquid) and it kick's the S*** out of clover, violets, etc. has dicamba also, takes 2 weeks or so, but does work well.. and i don't water in
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you using W & F because you don't want to invest in a sprayer??

If so, I'd invest in a sprayer.

About 2 weeks ago, I was doing a Wal-Mart. Mowing it and spraying right behind.

By the time I left 10 hours later, the dandelions that I had sprayed at 8 am were already starting to curl into the fetal position.
  4. dzd9fy

dzd9fy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses.

Here is exactly what I am using: Momentum 21-0-12E Premium W&F w/Polyvex.

I should have explained I am a homeowner, and thanks to the benefit of this site have learned of Lesco. It was there [LESCO's] recommendation that the W&F is the material to use, and they lead me to believe it would knock out the weeds. I may be a bit critial, but it does not appear to have worked on anything.... SO before I go back and drop another $45 on a 50# bag I thought I would come back here for advice.
  5. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure you applied at the correct rates?

Do you know the actual sq. footage of your lawn?

Also. how long ago did you apply?

6. dzd9fy

dzd9fy LawnSite Member

I believe the settings to be correct, as my spreader was set at the recommended setting per Lesco on the product. They say a setting of 4.5 to drop 3.6# per 1000sq ft; my speader documentation says 4.0 drops 3.4#.

The applied area is approx 8000 sq ft, and I used 1/2 the bag.

What is strange is that there was no impact to any of the weeds. I mean none started to wilt, none turned color, none died. I have had better luck with using Scott's from Home Depot in the middle of the dry grass! And it was much much cheaper!

Any suggestions? Will Lesco stand behind their product if I take the remaining material back??

Out of curiousity, how long does it take to see results? Am I overly critical? It did rain extremely hard 48 hours later....but until then after application.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I know you're looking for answers, but without actually seeing the property and all the other variables, it's hard to determine what went wrong.

I'm not bad mouthing Lesco, because they have great products, but if you paid $45 / bag for 8k sq ft, you should have been able to hire someone to do the application with liquid Momentum.

I realize there are alot of people that want to do jobs around the house themselves, which is fine.

But if you were to watch professional applicators do their job, 99.9999999% of them will be using a liquid product to kill broadleaf weeds.

Using a w&f type granular is alot of times hit and miss, which is a reason it doesn't get used by professionals unless it's a special request by the client.
  8. dzd9fy

dzd9fy LawnSite Member

I hear you on the difference in products. Trust me if it were as easy as hiring a professional to come out and do one or two applications to kill the weeds I would. In the metro Detroit area they want a full year contract at 8-10 times what Lesco sold me a bag of Momentum for...
  9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a licensed applicator in Wisconsin that used 21-0-12 on my own lawn of 53,00 Sq. Ft. The only reason I used the W&F was because I over bought that particular product last December so I had some extra bags to use. I put it on early in the morning when the dew was on, did my typical did one pass, did another at 90 degrees to the original one & had pretty good luck. I was actually impressed with the results. It doesn't match the results of spraying but did work pretty good. One thing I did notice is that it takes at least twice as long to see any results as when you use a spray. You also have to remember that Momentum actually works slower than the LESCO 3 way herbicide. I am bothered that it did rain hard 48 hours after you applied the product. I am guessing that the weather conditions worked against you. In my experience LESCO makes great products & from my supplier in Kaukauna they are far less expensive than any Scotts products. To answer your question as to whether you can reapply the product I would wait & do it again in the fall. Two applications a year of any herbicide is enough in the northern states & fall is the best time to kill weeds.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care
  10. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

The application of most dry herbicides requires the grass to be moist when applied. Was the grass we when applied as mentioned in the last post?