1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

money in leaf work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Nov 21, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i dont know about you guys but ive made at least twice as much as i expected from leaf wk this year. more still out there.
    only problem is i mulch ,which my lazer will do at half throttle due to the exstreme dry conditions. i work in a cloud of dust a good bit of the time.most time ,cant even get a breeze to blow some of the dust away. thats getting old. i dont even run my mulch blades as the little universal blade i got at lowes makes less leaf dust. oh well,still glad to be working.
  2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd rather have no breeze at all cuz then it blows all the leaves to parts I already cleaned up!
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

a paper dust mask and your good to go!
  4. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

No rain to speak of in over 30 days. would like to see some.

the other day I was in a neighborhood doing a leaf job and I notice a lady stopped in the road. I stopped the mower and walked over. She says what's on fire. I looked around. She said there's quite a bit of smoke in the air. Just told her everythings fine and walked away.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

guido it must not be as dry there as here. personnaly ive never seen it this dry. i had to borrow a resperator,i think its called.
    if it was hot also i think even the trees might die.
    one thing to remember is w no even light drizzle the leaf dust just sets there waiting for u to come back next wk. one little rain
    would settle it in . PLEASE up there ,just one. or a long slow
    3 day rain,if u feel genererous.:angel: :D

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I did a lawn clean up for a reg. customer, and it took me 3 hrs. to do it and I charged her $150. The lady almost dropped the phone, A HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS! I didn't think it would be that much. I told her before I started that it would be $50 an hr. Now this is a customer whos husband is a doctor and charges $220 for a first time visit to his practice. Big azz yard with Half million $ home. You know its only the folks with money that I ever have a problem with. So anyway I was sorta leaning toward calling and telling her I would go back next week and mulch anything else that has fallen, not because I feel guilty or anything like that, but I don't want to lose a good mowing customer. What do y'all think?
  7. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

this is why we price by the job not by the hour..(no surprises to customer)
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

avrecon,that would be being real nice. my folks can tell by the way i look, when im done, that im charging what the job is worth.
    so far no one has dared haggle price. they just glad its not them doing it.later now
  9. Yes I have made more on leaves than in the past.

CHARGE T&M no other way to go.
  10. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I tried the per hour bid too and it didn't work so I told the customer that the job would be 300.00 and she seemed ok with it.