1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Money in my Pocket

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shawnhines, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Shawnhines

Shawnhines LawnSite Member

So I understand that everybody says to put money back into the business... How are you making money for the home life? I have a Wife and 2 dogs to feed, what kind of extra money would this be if I put it all back into the Lawn Care??? Just thought I would ask so of you that seem to have it together....
  2. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I put almost all my money that I make back into my company. SInce im so young, I dont really have too many "home issues" to have. I pay for some stuff such as phone bill etc.. and I have money for dates and stuff like that. I usually give some money to my grandfather who helps me out ALOT!!! Otherwise I put all my money into my company to make it grow
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

This is great for a 16 year old. But it doesn't cut when you have a family to support. I'm 30. As of now I put all the money back into the biz. But I have a good paying job that allows me to do this. LCO part time. I also use personal money for the biz. But it is getting to the point where I really don't have to do that anymore. It's hard, for sure, you just have to make things happen.
  4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I put only what i can afford to back in my company.
  5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

It's tough. I have family of wife and five kids, and a dog. Started with nothing but a borrowed push mower. It has been very painful, and still is right now.

You just buy for yourself what you need to survive, nothing more. Be prepared to have your wife not like you very much for a long time.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have wife and 3 kids, house, 2 boats, bike, and lots of other things and everything is paid for. I started back in 1990 with nothing I borrowed money for a trimmer and used an old ariens pusher and a broom for sidewalks and through everything into the back of an old chevy impala. Over the years as business grew I put money back into equipment and grew my business into a very large company only to sell it in 98 and go back to corperate world, after 3 years I got laid off and went back to lawn care. I had money in savings so I bought what I needed to get started and put money back into the business every year for new equipment and now the business is back and making good money. You have to pay yourself a set amount of money and to do that you need to look at how much it takes for you and your family and how much you need for day to day business. Lets say at your job you took home $350.00 a week and it takes you a $100 a week to run your business so thats $450.00 of the top. If you make $800.00 a week doing lawn care you will have $350 a week to set aside for new equipment. The biggest mistake I see many do in this business when starting out is spend what they make as fast as they get it.
  7. Shawnhines

Shawnhines LawnSite Member

Wow this is alot of great info. Thanks Keep it coming...
  8. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

That's true. Don't out spend what you earn. I think we're used to "earning" what our parents were earning. Doesn't happen that way. This industry you almost always start off small and starving and before you know it, you're full, or close to it. It certainly isn't a get-rich-quick scheme. Lots of work and planning. In my opinion, it's virtually impossible to quit your job one day, start a lco, and expect to be able to feed and provide for your family. It takes time to build up a clientele.
  9. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My first year I gained over 100 accounts but I had to put 80% back into the business in order to do that - plus start up money.

It was worth it.
  10. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

I think the bottom line is for guys who are full time and who have started from scratch, you find a way to put the money into the busines when you need to. Sometimes money is more readily available and at other times it is hard to come by, you do what you can. Anyone who is rich off of this business likely had some help along the way to be able to put it all back.