Money in the Lawn care game in the next few years?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by solomower, Apr 22, 2011.

1. solomower

solomower LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

Do you guys think there is going to be any money in the Lawn Care game in the upcoming years with all the lowballers and the rise in fuel prices?:cry:

2. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

nope you should get out now while you can.
  3. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

If I didn't think there was money to be made in the upcoming years I wouldn't be in the business. There is always going to be work for a TRUE PROFESSIONAL. Many will come and many will go but we will ALWAYS be in business and enjoying life.
  4. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

What money, I thought it was a hobby!
  5. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

yup, it is a hobby here too.
  6. rauder01

rauder01 LawnSite Member

I'm just working for the health of it.
  7. ColvinsPS

ColvinsPS LawnSite Member

Wait.... you mean some guys actually get paid to do this? Wow! I am going about this all wrong!
  8. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

There is money to be made in any buisness under any economic circumstance's.....
  9. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what will happen is that the non high end customer could disappear if fuel prices rise to unseen levels forcing the cheaper companies to raise prices. I see A LOT of lawns that I cannot believe have someone mowing them, but its probably so cheap that why would the home owner spend money on a mower, fuel, and their time when the can have someone do it cheap? That's the customer could disappear (thank god those arent my customers). High end people have too much lawn to be bothered with doing it and want that high end look anyways. So if one business is wrapped up with the "customer that could disappear"....yea they could be in trouble

If fuel continues to climb this business could become less appealing to "cheap" contractors as the cost of fuel would be too high.

Here's the thing. For the past 3-4 years I've heard the whole "Gas will reach $5, $6, even $7 per gallon". I think the highest I've seen was low $4 range and that was couple of years ago. The auto makers cannot suffer another debacle and I'm sure can have leverage on stuff like that. If it does get to extremes then watch out, its not just a lawn business that could suffer, everyone will!

Lower priced guys will always exist because they either don't know how to run a business, don't have good income expectations, or are desperate for money.
  10. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

These threads are getting really annoying. The "crazy gas prices" and "outrageous amount of lowballers" are no more real than this thread makes them out to be.

Doing just fine here in Memphis. Lowballers aren't something to be concerned with, more of a "bad joke", and I got a big old lifted truck to drive around but it does pretty good on gas. Everyone needs to chill. Sick of seeing these threads.