Money Money

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GrassQuester, Jun 5, 2006.

1. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

Wanna make money? Hit the new developments !Hit them hard write down the names of the streets that the 20 new houses are being built on go by every week see if someone has moved in meet them Person to Person!!!I am from Orlando Florida like 30000 houses being built here in the next few years not sure how your market is but this works...Having time away from your biz is the best thing you can do market market.....I Dont wanna be weedeating all my life I wanna build my biz!!!

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Sounds like great advice.

3. GrassQuester

Of Course :):weightlifter:

4. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

8000 Marines plus family and support coming here over the next 5 years. $10 Billion to be invested for the move along with another $5 Billion the Navy wants to invest in buildup here on Guam over the next 15 years. Homes are going up but not like there in Florida. You really have an opportunity to grow your business.

Good Luck to you in your endeavor.

5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Door to door isn't for me, I won't even delivery my own flyers never mind knocking on doors.

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but out of those 30,000 homes 15,000 will be part time professionl LCO's, 10,000 16 yr olds with 10yrs experience, and 5,000 pitas. Next

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Freddie and CuttinEdge... I do NOT solicit for work because that sets the wrong tone for me, not to mention I hate doing it. What I mean is, I prefer it when they call me, and not the other way around because I get more / hour when I'm not the one asking.

Also, new subdivisions / new homes ... Don't think you're the first one with that idea, you can and will face a TON of competition (most of it not clearly visible) and that also drives the price down, and yes the people living there apparently know this... I get calls from these kind of folks from time to time and it is very rare I land a job in those areas as it appears someone is always willing to do it cheaper, some go as far as giving me dirty looks when I quote them my price (as if it was my fault lol).

I find it is far better to advertise in the newspaper, the one I use covers the whole county and that eliminates all the targeting nonsense, now everybody gets to see my ad (well if they read the paper, but you know what I mean). So there's my idea of targeting: Advertise to EVERYBODY and not just where I think I see work, that way I don't run the risk of outsmarting myself.

8. GrassQuester

The newspaper would leave you with calls from all over the county =alot of drive time ,flyers you can choose the exact location you want to go to_Of the 67 houses I have they are no more than 10 minutes from my house.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

LOL, Funny but more than likely true:cry:

10. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Have a talk with the Realtor/Broker handling the sales to get the job on Demo/Open house. That may be more effective than door to door and give a visual aid to the types that got to see your work before hiring.