money question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sanford, Jan 21, 2001.

1. sanford

sanford LawnSite Member

This question is really for the one man operation with occassional help. I was curious if anyone would mind giving a little info about how much they bring in a year. Not looking for exact dollar amounts just ballpark figures. Just wanted to see how I'm adding up to others around the country. I'm hoping for 25 to 30 thousand my first full year. Thanks.
  2. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I was a one man operation last season and grossed between 50-60K , it was my second season. Plan to get help and make 100K this year.

[Edited by RYAN on 01-21-2001 at 12:22 PM]
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Hi sanford
    If you mean 30 gross. Thats not far from what
    i did.The only way i make it almost everything
    is paid for .Personlly thats too little.
    I bought a exmark ztr to kick it up much
    as i can.Can t stand another yr of cost
    going up,income going down.Ibelieve 60
    gross to be the make it figure for me.
    Now if i still had a full time, 30 is fine.
  4. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was a 1 man operation 1st full year grossed about $42,000. Most of the money went back into more equipment. I hope to increase that figure to about $60,000 this year.

5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

my first year when finished with cleanups i made a little over 30,000.working only 4/5 hours a day, hopefully double that this year
  6. Lawnnorder

Lawnnorder LawnSite Member

Working 2 or 2 1/2 days per week (15 hours total) only grossed $28K.
  7. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

1999- $45,000
    2000- $60,000
    2001- $85,000 (a new goal)
  8. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I work full at an auto plant at night and parttime at my lawn business.I gross between 40-50k per year in the lawn biz.I have no employees.
  9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have always figured at $15,000 gross a year for every day out of the week worked of the season in my one man show. My season is 8 months, April to November. This figure has run true for myself since I first started. One day a week - $15,000, Two days a week - $30,000. With summer helper one year I was able to do about $40,000 in 1 day a week with helper and 1/2 day by myself.

Last year was $33,000 in 1 3/4 days a week by myself and this year I cut way back for family reasons to just about one 5 hour day a week which came it at about $12,000.

I have another business that I do also, if I did not, I would have to say that I would need to work at a minimum of 3 days a week and gross a minimum of $45,000 as a one man operation to maintain business and current lifestyle.
  10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

This last yr my gross was around 49k. Im solo and this is my 9th yr. I make a decent living, i could really bust my butt and make more but after 19yrs in management in the oil business.I just set my own pace, im not in this business to kill myself. I got a little nest egg in my 401k.