Money Saving with Nextel

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by studentlawn, Jul 24, 2005.

1. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

Latley I have been looking into Nextel for business phones. I am looking at getting 3 or 4 phones to start with and having a shared plan. I would like to hear what plans people are using and how much money they are spending per month. It seems that people are stuck on nextel because they like the walkie talkie feature. I am not convinced that the walkie talkie is anything more then a gimmick. I looked at the plans and I cannot see how a shared plan is any cheaper then getting individual cell phone plans with any similar competitor. Has anyone actually found that they are saving money because they got shared plans through nextel? The only way I see it being beneficial is if you have numerous crew with memebers without cell phones and you give them a nextel to soley walkie talkie. Otherwise it doesnt seeem like much of a deal at all.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

After I was recently screwed by t-mobile and have been screwed by verizon before I decided to switch to nextel. I personally like the 2 way feature BUT my favorite feature is the customer service. They screwed up my ins plan and took it off causing me to pay $35. Well I called up nextel care and they credited the $35 towards my account and then put back the ins plan back on within 2 hours. Tha has been the best so far. I looked at cingular and nextel and cingular is around the same price (last I chekced it was $69.99 for 1250 mins. Nextel has a plan with 1200 for 69.99 for 1200 or a deal right now for $55.99 1000 mins I switched to the 1000 mins. It all depends on your needs. I personally like the duribility. That's the MAIN reason I picked it. Not many other companies out there offer a phone as durable as the 305. Hell I dropped it off a 2 story roof today (so far my record) last test was 1. Well anyways the phone is fine and not a scratch on it. Tell me another company out there that you can drop a phone off a 2 story roof and have not even a battery cover come off? I think it is a good decesion. If you don't need long dist on the crew phones You can get 500 local with unlimited 2 way for around $40 or just get the 2 way NO cel mins for $35. Look st the plans they have some good deals

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

nextel and savings are two words that dont belong in the same sentence. LOL. sorry but its the truth, nextel has good service and good features, and they know people will pay for it. I am paying about $110-$120 a month for 2 phones. Not to bad, but could be worse. sometimes if I go over, my bill is well over $300.

4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I have Sprint with the 2-way and service has been excellent My program is 2000 anytime minutes and 2-way with Internet service for 125 for 2 phones..Also remember Sprint owns Nextel and soon both 2-way services will be merging...

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I pay about 123.00 for 3 phones, which has 500 minutes and unlimited 2 way, but those plans are no longer avaiable any longer so they say. I believe any kind of communication is a plus in business, enen a cell with out 2 way.

6. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

I wish the that the cell phone search was that simple for me. At least three of the phones are going to be going to "power users" meaning we use at least 1,000 day minutes a month. I've been known to hit 1,500 day minutes. I don't think anyone wants to accommodate that kind of usage!

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We currently have 8 nextels. I use a ton of minutes, so I have the 1250/month plan. This plan costs me less than the shared plan I was on w/ my partner. Definately go w/ nextel if you plan on having multiple phones. The 2 way feature will save you a ton of minutes.

Chris

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the nextel boost prepaid phones that way we can control the bills and how much people use them.We mainly use the 2 way feature and that is very cheap. $1.50 a day.. and if you dont use the 2 way feature that day you dont get charged.

9. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

I love my Nextel except for the dropped calls. Seems we have quite a few bad areas in the Columbus Metro area. We called Nextel to pitch a b!tch and they researched our account. Anything over 3% in lost calls for the month and they start crediting your account. Seems that 3% is the industry standard for dropped calls. I don't know if it is industry driven or federally mandated but anything over 3% and you get money back. I had like 33% of my calls were dropped back in March and I got like a month and a half free. They do have good customer service.

10. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

I have had various cell phone service providers in the past. They will all screw ya one way or another. Currently I have had Nextel for the past couple of years and Money Saving and Nextel is the definition of oxymoron. I have never been happy with nextel, from dropped calls to poor customer service to being ripped off on phone bills. We have 4 phones with them so my cell phone bill is almost a truck payment per month. The only reason I have been hanging with them is the DC and the hassle to switch all the phones over. I figure no matter what service company you use there will be likes and dislikes.