Money still out!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bligh61, Feb 9, 2005.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

Can any of you guys give me some advice on how to collect outstanding accounts? Not a lot of money, but a few grand would go a long way this winter. thanks. :help:
  2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an account still owing me money. It was only for 60 bucks and i called the lady and she thaught she had sent it. I recieved it 2 days after i called. Just make a call or send another invoice. I like the call cause you can normaly tell by the voice if they are not going to pay.
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I haven't used this service, but I got the link when it was posted here by some other members that have used it. Might be helpful to you.
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

more than 60 days?, knock on the door after 5pm, always worked for me. never wanted a customer that does'nt pay on time.
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Me too. Screw this nice business. If someone owes me money and won't respond to letters or talking on the phone, it's knocky-knocky time. They cut a check right there and God help them if it bounces. If so, it becomes a matter for the state attorney's office. I assure you, anyone with more than five brain cells working does NOT want to mess with them.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Eventually we will all run into to some filthy thief that will get the better of us. It is nice to think that we can bother them enough, or use legal threats to secure our hard earned money, but there are people who are expert at stealing. These people are really professional liars, and they know the art of thievery very well. They come in all shapes and sizes, and not just the people who give you a bad feeling because they act a certain way, or fit a certain profile, though very often they do. I try to heed these signals, but it is not %100. I say this so that you do not get discouraged when you loose some money, because it is a matter of time.

For money like you are talking about, you must have done some landscape installs, or let several customers get way behind on lawn work. In either case, you hopefully have contracts to prove they requested work. I suggest keeping track of every bill and late notice you send to these creatians as well. I want every bit of proof that I did my job in a professional manner when it comes to secureing my funds. Keep track of how many times you call, or leave a phone messages, and even jot down comments about what they say. Often you can catch them in lies. I like e-mail for this, as you have hard copies of their lies. I do not know if it is admissable in court, but I will find out shortly. :D Send these people certified mail telling them of your intentions of taking legal action should they not comply with payment before a certain date in the near future. You can threaten lien's on property if that piece is up for sale, or soon to be. Don't forget to have a provision for late fees in your contract, and tack them on. You can always negotiate with a later person, that if they pay the balance in full, you will drop the late charges, this may help you get paid without proceeding to court.

In the end, some are still going to be filthy thieves, and will buck you all the way. Some will keep your money even through the process, but some will not. At least you can drag them into court and out of their lazy boy for an afternoon of un pleasantries.

Try to avoid retribution regardles of how tempting it is....and it is tempting in some cases. It just is not worth it.

Good luck
  7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I had 3 or 4 deadbeats who hadnt paid about two weeks ago. I got them on the phone and told them I would be dropping by their home/work to get a check. They acted a little surprised and maybe even ashamed. All of them apologized and paid. This is why I put together a simple service agreement for them to sign and all monthly payors will pay one month in advance! Best decision I've ever made.