Money well spent or a waste?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DistLawns, Mar 23, 2006.

1. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have thinking about spending alot of money on advertising. (fliers, adds in paper etc) How much money do you guys think is worth the risk on advertising? How much do you ussually spend?

2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Flyers: 2,000 for $159.00 on green paper
    Pens: 350 for $141
    Newspaper ad for 4 weeks: $179

Word of mouth: Free

3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent 10% of my last year's gross on ad's this year. I'll let you know how it worked.

4. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ask yourself, how big are you now?, how big do you want to be by the end of the year? Then look at response rates and costs for various mediums of advertising. That will tell you approximately how much you will have to spend in order to grow to size "X". You also need to think about "reach" and "frequency". For example, you will probably find that sending out 8000 door hangers (reach of 8000) just one time isn't as effective as sending out 4000 (reach) to the same group of people twice (frequency). People need to keep hearing about you and keep seeing your name in the marketplace. It take time, patience and money to create a level of brand awareness that will kick some arse.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How much can you afford to loose? Its a total gamble, not necessarily a waste of money but you never can perdict how much return you will get. IMO, I would use the advertising that gets you the most exposure for your buck. For us its the classified ads. For $60-$90 bucks a month 10's of thousands of people will see our ad, where as if we did flyers we would spend about 3-5k and only hit 3-5k potential customers. Not to mention the time it takes to deliver them. Not saying flyers don't have a purpose but for thousands less and seen by 10's of thousands more, its a no brainer.

6. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Yes, frequency is key. Keep hitting those areas with flyers. Also, weather plays a key in responses. Sunny days responses are better. Cold, cloudy days few calls.

Newspaper ads are good, but they have a scatter effect. One here, one there, little control over a target audience.

7. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I'm looking to grow 20-25 additional residential accts. I know thats not going to be easy. A local nespaper that I have had success with in the past is offering a special of 12000 flier inserts printed and distributed in whatever areas I want to hit for 630.00. I'm thinking about doing 24000 to try and get closer to my goal, but dang, its alot of money for a maybe! Thank you in advance for any more imput you guys may have.

8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent point. As for Nobaggers comments, classifieds are fine but along with "reach" and "frequency", you also have to consider your "target". While 10's of 1000's may see your classified ad, you have no way of targetting it towards a specific market where you do with flyers or door knob hangers. With the classifieds, you'll be driving all over the county doing estimates, with flyers you can concentrate on specific neighborhoods that YOU want to develop your market in.

9. CutsLawnCarePlus

CutsLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

Figure out who your target market is........ Once you figure that out you direct your advertising in that direction. Sometimes it is in places that others do not advertise. Newspaper and yellowpages are not the only answer.

10. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I pretty much mimiced this response. And as for "how much can you afford to lose" well spent advertising dollars are never spent in vain.