Money

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by miltthemower, May 26, 2005.

1. miltthemower

miltthemower LawnSite Member

Is it best to get the money before you start work or after the job is done. I have had quite some problems with regular customers mostly neighbors whom I cut their yard and have to wait days for a measly $30.00.

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its your call, I just bill....I don't depend on that money right away...others might need it right away.....i guess you could go up to the homeowner with your reciept book on hand, write out the bill and collect??

3. miltthemower

miltthemower LawnSite Member

Thanks, I think I will use that.

4. Pro - Cut

Pro - Cut LawnSite Member

Iam new this year and have been sending out invoices every 30 days and has been working fine. You can usualy tell if the cust is going to pay but you need to use your own judgement. Good luck

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I went to OfficeMax (Staples is good, too) and bought a slew of cheap receipt-things. Works great when they're not home, I got an address-stamp (before that, I'd write my address on there) where it says to 'Please send to:'
    And thank you, have a nice day!

It still takes a few days, but checks in the mail kicks tail.

Oh yeah, it does help to have Business Checking so for when you get the checks that are made out to your business, heh, but you can always put on the receipt: Please make check payable to 'Your Name'

Hope is help.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi miltthemower,

What ever works best for you. Many LCOs bill in advance at the beginning of the month.