money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, need some help for sure on this one:

Get a call from a guy to mow his moms yard, go mow, charge $25.00

Calls the next day to go mow his yard: $25.00, he wants to be billed.

Month later, no money, call another guy I network with, he is also a cop.....he tells me he got burned by the same guy, but it happened in a different city.....start going down the paper of mowers and I start calling them.....it appears he has burned several of them last year, and the new guys this year.......i warned as many as possible....I am pissed off to no end that someone would do this.....I need to stop this guy.....what do I need to do...i don't care about the $$$$ its the principal...Help!!! :realmad:

2. CelticGreens

CelticGreens LawnSite Member

go to his house and ask for it. if he doesn't have it, ask when you can come back in the next week. keep going there till you get it. although annoying, like you said, it's the principle

3. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

Go over there tonight and do donuts in his yard with your truck. Get in and out as soon as possible without getting caught. That'll teach him.

4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

A real drag that people do that. Im going to insist on payment upon delvery for what I call _one timers_. Also, come to think of it, i hate one timers cause it always takes twice as longto mow if you include digging out the map, walking the grounds, God forbid meeting the customer. That settles it, Im not doing them anymore.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

get your money any way you have to. the guys that got burned b4 you are losers, and it is THIER FAULT that things like this happen. everything that was done b4 us, effects us. anything we do now, effects the next guy. put a stop to it.

6. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I called the cops, I found another one he got, two teenage boys who mow for extra cash!!! :realmad:

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, according to the geniuses on this site, the cops won't do anything (but i know different). tell us, what did the nice police officers do?

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Get a lawyer and have the lawyer send a letter threatening legal action. Have the lawyer list all of the companies that this guy has stiffed in the past. You might just get money for all of them. You could threaten to EACH put a lien on his house for the different services.

I don't know if you legally have a leg to stand on but sometimes a good bluff will work just as well.

You, along with the other companies, could also take him to small claims court.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would just keep on billing him over and over again, and add late charges. After about 2 years when the late fees pile up then take him to court.

10. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I say put a flyer in his door saying you do lawn mowing. maybe he will call ya and ya can tell him ya i'll do it. but never show up until its really long. cut the grass, bag it up and pile it up infront of his door. on top write him a nice lil note you can come up with a few good thing to say :rolleyes: . or #2 cut only two or three rows in the front and still pile it up infront of the door. uneven cuts, random cutting, (scalp the crap out of one row) you can be creative. when he calls ya back asking what happened tell him, you wanna do things half a$$ and not pay me, then i'll do my job half a$$ too.................. you could have fun with those but word would spread of bad business. (not good) the right thing to do i think would be keep going to the house if its near your daily run. and confront him. put a flyer at your local outdoor power equipment shops around town. inform other guys like yourself out there about this cheap a$$. Its a tough one.....how to get even but not get in trouble. its not right though. let us know how you resolve it so if it happens to me i know how to handle it the right way.