Monkey Grass? Cut?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SDNCLAWNCARE, Mar 18, 2007.

1. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Customer has several flower beds full of monkey grass / ornimental grass and he wants me to set my mower up full height and trim it down. Does this sound alright?

2. caslong

caslong LawnSite Member
    from Tn

I have never done it with a mower. Have done it with a trimmer before. There is a large company in town that does it all the time with a 21".

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I like to leave about 3-4" for smaller grasses and more for larger. However you do it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't do it at a customers house but you can throw a match to it.

4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Your customer is correct - an easy way to eliminate the old worn foliage. You need to do it soon before the new growth starts - it will return to full height within a few weeks . You can mow it , weed-eat it or trim it by hand - all will generate the same results.

5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

We do it every year around this time of the year. I put the Ultra-Vac on the rider and put it in transport heigth and let er rip tater chip.

6. TurfConcepts Inc

TurfConcepts Inc LawnSite Member

I've done it before, many times. Just make sure you use really sharp blades.

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are referring to mondo grass, yes that will work just fine. You only need to cut off as much as doesn't look good, brown or ragged. If you are working with other ornamental grasses, you are better served to wrap them up with twine, tape or a strap and cut them at about 6" with pruners, loppers or even gas powered shears.

Kirk