1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Monkey grass maintainance.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Black-Rob, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Black-Rob

Black-Rob LawnSite Member

I have to put in a bid for a commercial lot that has monkey grass surrounding the landscaping. The job is fairly simple in terms of getting the job done. But, my stepfather has monkey grass and I find it hard to trim. I tried weedeating it but it seems to just blow with the weedeater.

In this commercial lot, the monkey grass is thick and looks fairly good right now, except it has some tall single weeds sticking up within it. My question is, is there a proper way of trimming or cutting the monkey grass so it don't get outta control? Do I have to hand pick the tall weeds outts the middle of it?
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

there is NO Maintance on monkey grass
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Most people like to trim liriope back to the ground to eliminate the old foliage , which looks pretty ragged after a years growth. This is typically done with a weedeater or you can mow it down. However, this should be done before the new shoots begin to sprout - you don't want to cut the new growth and down here the new growth has begun so it is too late to trim that way. Check the clump for new sprouts near ground level - if it has already started , you can cut the old growth just above the new with hand pruners - if the new shoots aren't out yet just trim the old foliage to the ground.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Cut them down in the fall with hedge trimmers. The only maintenance I do on mine is cutting them down in the fall, and pulling new shoots when I see them popping up. The tend to spread, and I want mine to stay in small clumps.
  5. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I use cuttin shears when its in a flower bed, seems to work good