Monkey grass taking over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MasonGrey, Jul 18, 2004.

1. MasonGrey

MasonGrey LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    I have a sloping front yard with an island that has monkey grass as a border. The monkey grass is beginning to creep into the bermuda sod. Is there a way to get rid of monkey grass from the lawn and how should I keep it contained to the areas where I want it once it is under control? I have done a search of previous posts and found nothing to help me out.

2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Monkey grass is super invasive...and incredibly hard to control.

Basically, your gonna have to dig it out...almost impossible to kill in turfgrass. It will take almost straight 45% glyphosphate, commercial roundup to kill the stuff

Only way I know to control in...is to dig edging down deep. It's the root system thats spreading underneath any border, and will continue to spread if you don't stop the roots with deep edging...the deeper the better...

20-30 feet should do it. ;)

3. SouthernFried

I thought I'd better post this in case someone didn't get that I was kidding on the 20-30 feet thing.

Make it 40 or 50'

Oh, and I never bother with it...if it's in the grass... just mow it. It's nice and green anyway

4. MasonGrey

MasonGrey LawnSite Member

I kind of figured I would just kill off the affected areas this fall and resod in spring. Would a bed edger get deep enough to stop roots from spreading into lawn?

5. SouthernFried

You prolly need to get down over a foot to totally block the roots...but, if you can get edging or some other type of barrier down in the ground at least 6"...you should be ok.