Monkey Grass Trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

How about your opinions on trimming monkey grass in flower beds? Plus what would you charge for it. Goes all the way around the house about 3 ft wide.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I set my mower on it's highest setting and mow the Monkey Grass. That cuts it down to about 4'' using my mower. I always bag the cuttings so the clippings do not end up all over the beds. I just charge my usual hourly rate for this work.:)

3. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

I trim it back until I see green. I ussually use a hedge trimmer.

4. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Can you get to it with your mower??I always run my mower with a bagger on it if I can get to it if not just use your clippers i guess. As far as price I dont know, if i can get to it with the mower I charge nothing if it is my customer.Hope this helps:)

5. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I may be able to do some of it with the mower. There is a border and the house on the other side. Would it hurt to use the trimmer? This is a clean up job and may become a regular customer for mowing.

6. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would think the trimmer would scatter it out real bad making it more of a pain to clean up.Unless you are going to mulch or put down needles,then you could just cover what you cut up.

7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I usually do it in the fall . I use my reddmaxx hedge trimers ann mow them monkeys about 3".works for me!

8. Tom Musselman

Tom Musselman LawnSite Member

I see you are from Texas. Whatever method you use be careful not to cut off new growth (looks like fingers coming out of ground).

We cut back, a lot of it in our area, liriope with string trimmers. Work from the outside-in (so clippings are thrown into cut areas and you can see what your doing as you work through the liriope). Always keep the trimmer head positioned away from the house or anything (car, person, etc.) you don't want a rock or object to be thrown towards.

As long as no new growth to contend with, this is the fastest method for us.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ask him!!:D

monkeye30.jpg

10. Tom Musselman

Tom Musselman LawnSite Member

MacLawnCo,

Someone stole your glasses!

Just kidding. Everytime I see one of your posts your picture kills me. A lot of times your comments do, or from your last post dodo, the same. I enjoy your sense of humor.