Monkey Grass(whats the best way to cut it ?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, Nov 12, 2000.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys .any of you have any tips on tools used for trimming back monkey grass?.I usually use hand clippers but was wondering if there were any other or better tools on the market?like a good re chargeable? Thanks for the input !

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I always use a good sharp pair of scissors. Works very fast and precise.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Guess I'm a scrub... the few that have asked me to cut it back said," Just run over it with the mower." Works and it's quick. Who has time to use scissors?

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

A lawnmower?

Well, there you have it leeslawn. That's what makes this forum great....diversity of opinion hehe

You could offer Fall bed maintenance at half off and still make good money. Perrenial beds with a Lazer Z.

5. leeslawncare

Now that wouldn't work in my case .would screw up the beds an the mulch .I've worked too hard to get them looking nice .Besides the client would fire my butt if i did that !!

6. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

What is 'Monkey Grass'?

StiCk-Nine

7. bondlawn

bondlawn LawnSite Member

I have a large vacuum (normally I attach it to my mower discharge to pick up leaves) and this year I'm going to try using a blade on my string trimmer and let a helper suck up the monkey grass as I cut it. Don't know how it will work, but I'll let you know in the next few weeks.

8. leeslawncare

Monkey Grass ...ornimantal grass.lirope i think thats how it's spelled

9. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I always use mower on highest setting..only cut in spring though before growth starts.

10. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

We use hedge trimmers, no matter how you do it, pain in the butt. That lawn mower idea doesn't sound bad, Hmmmmm