Monkey Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mfred10, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mfred10

mfred10 LawnSite Member

I am only a few years into the lawn care.
    Have one site with a great deal of Monkey Grass and I have been told different things I need to do with it.
    While its still winter here in TN is this the best time to mow it down, how low or what does it need now?
  2. adrianrog

adrianrog LawnSite Member

If you mow it now, it'll look like crap all winter. Wait till the spring and mow it down. It'll put out all new growth and look good. That's what I do with it at my house, I have about 400 linear feet of it.
  3. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I usually trim it back with a sting trimmer. I cut some back this time of the year and some I wait until spring. Depends on the look of the plants now and on my time I have available.
  4. mfred10

mfred10 LawnSite Member

thanks for the help
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Wait until Spring & use a blade on a brush cutter.
  6. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I usually wait until March and then cut mine back with the trimmer. adrianrog is right, if you cut it back too early it's going to look like hell. Trick is to wait close to spring to do that but not wait TOO long because when the new shoots come out, the ends are tapered. If you cut them back after the new growth starts, you'll lose that nice looking taper. You cannot kill monkey grass. Cut that stuff to ground level with the trimmer and it seems to pop back thicker than it did before.
  7. mfred10

mfred10 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice.
    Most replies I have received say use a weed eater to cut the monkey grass back. Is it fine to set my mulching walk mower all the way up and use it?
    Thanks again,
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You can cut that stuff down with whatever you want. It will not hurt it and it will ALWAYS come back. Like others have said, simply wait until spring and cut it back with whatever.
  9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

cut it with what ever makes you happy that stuff is a weed and is near impossible to kill. It reminds me of a few years ago while cutting for a school I cut some nomkey grass late in the summer because it was unkept and unruly every body fused that I killed it I know I did not kill it but they fussed . Wel spring came and they were just amazed at how it came back thicker than ever. and how nicke it looked. Whatever you do cut it right before thingss start to green up so that it wont look mutilated for as long of a time. Happy cutting
  10. mfred10

mfred10 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the responses.
    This has turned out to be a great site for me and I have already learned so much.
    Hope I can pay back the favor someday.