monkey grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by the scaper, Mar 27, 2003.

1. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

how do you kill monkey grass? i tried scalping it with the mower and flooding it with roundup and it keeps coming back. i get alot of requests from good customers but that stuff is rooted so strongly that i've really got better things to do than dig this stuff out with a shovel. note: PETA members, this has nothing to do with real monkeys! thanks, ~the scaper~:cool:

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain!Try getting rid of a holly hedge row thats thrived for 15 yrs.No shovel---backhoe!:angry:

3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

yea grassdadddy, i've pulled alot of shrubs out with my truck, even pine tree stumps, but i've heard those hollys are rooted so well you can forget it. :confused:

4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Monkey grass is very prolific. Just keep spraying, but spray before you cut it down.
    It takes a while to get rid of it all.
    And yes Hollies are terrible. They have more roots than a sane man can deal with lol.

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny, I have a customer that wants a couple hundred feet of this stuff killed ... tomorrow. And I don't have the faintest idea how to do it. I know I've spryaed every herbicide I have over the top of it and nothing has touched it yet. So what spray will kill it? One spray kill is what I'm after here. HELP! :dizzy:

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

try diesel fuel

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Just diesel by itself? Or an herbicide mixed in it? Thanks.

8. captken

diesel fuel in sprayer alone.

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, then light a match and watch it gleam! Fa lala lala, la, la la, la!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. captken

i use diesel fuel, in moderation, to kill weeds in flowerbeds.
    to advertise, charge for, or otherwise uses herbicide in conjunction with your buiness here is a violation. you need a license.
    i am not award of a license needed to apply diesel fuel, and yes it will kill weeds and i would assume just about any vegetable matter. this would include monkey grass.
    diesel fuel is a volital liquid, and care must be taken when using it.
    i was raised on a farm, and seen it used on large areas. the old timers here sometimes use it because it is also cheaper than herbicide.