1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Monkey Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Mar 18, 2005.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that has monkey grass growing around all of his trees. He hasn't cut it back in years and now wants me to do it. My question is how do you all cut it back? Do you use the trimmer or cut it by hand with shears or something like that.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

WTF is monkey grass btw?
  3. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

You are about to hit 5000 posts. Congrats. Monkey grass is mondo grass.
  4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Monkey grass is slang for Mondo Grass and it is also slang for Liriope. It's the ornamental grass that has small purple flowers.

It should be cut back every year. If it is in with the rest of the lawn, run it over with your mower and bag it. If it is in a flower bed, get out some shears and cut it low.
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Use the trimmer on it. Rake it up and trim again to get any stragglers.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the enlightenment. So, I take it it's a warm season grass only?
  7. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting that stuff sucks. It's hard to rake up and leaves an awful mess if not every blade is not picked up.
    So I use a bungy cord and wrapp it around it very tight and use hedge trimmers to cut at the base of the plant pick it all up in one handfull and dispose of of it.
  8. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Man , That stuff is easy to cut....But hard on the back. I use my reddmaxx hedge trimmers (sharp) melt them down an take my redd maxx string timmers an tighten up the loose ends . rake it all up an you outa there!!
  9. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

If possible, use a mower and bag it. Check for sprinkler heads first.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got some infront of my house all the way up here in Maryland. I just take my hedge trimmers to it. Cut it about 1.5" from the ground. It should be done every year.