1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Monster Garage 5.0 Mustang Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Did anyone see that show on Discovery last night "MONSTER GARAGE" where the challenge team builds a 1990 5.0 Mustang that is hiding a 60" deck?

They had 7 days to build it, it looked stock, but a 60 3-blade cutter with a 10 HP briggs motor dropped out of the ass end.

Then, they raced it against a huge dually greens mower.

They towed the 10 HP 60" deck at about 40 MPH and claimed to have won the race.

I think they maybe cut 1 in 25 blades of grass at that speed, but it made for good show.

2. Albemarle Lawn

OK it was actually a 48" deck not 60"

Still way underpowered at 10HP.

Looks like somebody had a thread already started on this topic.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I think you dozed off during the show; they had 5 days and nights to complete it.
    Also this is about the third post for this show since last evening. Thats alittle overkill. We all make mistakes though and it's ok.
    The show is neat but alittle 'farby' because the concepts are cool and would work but then when they race them againts normal vehicles desighned to do this purpose its really dumb looking then. The grass was already cut on that show. I don't know why they even race the vehicles anyhow. I guess for excitement but I don't get much excitement over it. On the VW swamp buggy show they played the race in fast motion and you couldn't even see it. It looked very fake and silly to me. Maybe I expect too much from TV :D
  4. Albemarle Lawn

I think the bug would have done well if they just jerked out the stock engine and tranny.

That thing was WAY too nose heavy, then faster it went the faster the nose dropped. (Kind of like a fancy bass lure).

5. cormierlawn

cormierlawn LawnSite Member

Well i have to say i live 10 miles from were the raced the vw bug/ airboat and we saw the whole thing. it was a great event although Jessie James was a real A$$ H@le!! He has a very bad additude around people. On another note, he is a hell of artist. the bikes he builds are awesome!!!!!