Montana Tractors?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by muddstopper, Apr 10, 2006.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Considering a 5740 Montana tractor. Not much said here about them, lets here the negitaves and positives.

2. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

you may want to check out tractorbynet.com . there is a good bit of info on the montana's there.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I don't know much about them other than they are made in South korea and distributed in the US by JB Hunt trucking company. I looked at them at the National farm machinery show back in February and they looked ok. I guess the main thing is having a good dealer backing them up.

4. muddstopper

From the specs they seem to rate up there and even ahead of a lot of other manufacturers. I know I will never buy a kubota and I dont like JD either. I was actually leaning toward Massey or Agco. Pricing I got on the 5740 with FEL and Forks is a LOT better than either.

5. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Just curious as to your reason for the dislike of Kubota and JD?

6. muddstopper

I've used them. I guess that seems like a smarta$$ answer, but I dont feel like argueing with those dedicated diehards that like those or any other brands. I will say if you like them use them, but they dont suit my purposes.

7. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I like my NH.

Tim

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If your considering Massey then you'd be better off going that route. The Massey is better built even if the Montana out specs it the Massey Ferguson is the better tractor plus if you need parts you'll be able to get them overnight and you will not have to worry about parts availability issues with Agco either.

9. muddstopper

The Montana 5740 is sort of in between the Massey 451 and 461. 57 engine hp and 52 pto hp. Its a little longer than the Massey's and a little heaver, also a little wider, which should be better with a FEL. Massey has Montana beat on hydraulic flow but I wont be needing the extra fluid. My biggest concern with the Montana is they havent been around long. Most Montana owners seem satisfied but I aint a typical tractor owner. I really use my equipment. I dont know how well the Montana will hold up to extreme use. Closest dealer is also 75 miles away. Massey has a dealer just up the street. I plan on getting some pricing on the 461 tomorrow. If the dollars add up I will probably go with the Massey, but not before I get a closeup of the Montana. I also am looking at the TN series New Hollands. Havent compared the specs but I believe the TN75 is comparable to the 5740.

10. muddstopper

I just decided to update my tractor choices. I have succesfully eliminated the Montana, as well as the kubota and Johndeere and Massey. The elimination procedure was simple. I loaded a pallet of lime on my truck and started visiting the tractor dealerships. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar I have purchased a TN75 NewHolland. It was the only tractor i tried that would lift a pallet of lime, 2800lbs, off my truck and then load it back on the truck. Now everybody had larger tractors that would lift the pallet but for the size and weight, the TN75 is as small as I can get safely by with.

On another note, I had a Johndeere and kubota and the Newholland on a job this weekend and guess which one was able to pull up to the top of the steep grades I was working on, hint, it wasnt green or orange.