monthly or weekly???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajlandscaping, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

what are the ways you charge your customers for lawn mowing

what reasons do you have for the way you charge?
  2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I do both. I have some contracts based on weekly service, however are billed at the end of the month. Other contracts are for monthly service where the amount is the same regardless of whether there are four or five weeks within the month.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I like having money come in durring the slow months. Plus it gets many more people to spend more if you divide it over 12 months instead of every week.
    I do have some weeklys that I pick up but most are terminally ill people. I started with one lady and she has given me more via their support group. They all like to pay weekly as they never know when their time is up.
  4. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

per cut... monthly billing... due before the next cut..

just a tip to get your payment quicker,,,, include a self addressed stamped envelope with the bill. since i started doing this i get 85 percent of my checks within two business days.. Does anybody else do this????
  5. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Per-cut people in my area are on the verge of starvation right now.
    If you have a monthly fee you are getting paid no matter what!

6. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

Nah, too much extra expense to get my $$$. I have a due date. If it's not there by then, I don't cut your lawn, and the phone will be ringing, followed up by a knock on the door. :waving:

100 customers X .37=$37.00 more a month
    envelopes and time to fold/include.....................nahhh.

I miiiiiiiight get 1 late payment randomly every couple months or so.

Oh yea, I bill monthly on a monthly rate basis. :)

7. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

we charge per cut, billed monthly.
  8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

charged per cut billed monthly.
  9. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

how would you go about billing over 12 months when 4-5 months of the year are non mowing months. people don't like paying when you don't do anything that month
  10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have done both and now, just monthly and here's why.

-When you charge weekly, unless you have some sort of next day credit card deal, following up for a check at the end of each mowing can be a pain in the butt.
    -When you charge monthly, you only worry about one transaction per customer not 4 or 5 as the case may be. The fewer number of transactions, the fewer the mistakes.
    -Charging by the week seems in my opinion, a time sucking task. I was collecting checks one year and it always seemed that either someone wasn't home or they didn't have their checkbook whatever. Once I went to monthly billing with somewhat strict guidelines, the troops fell in line fairly well.

The only exception to monthly billing I would suggest are to those newer customers that you might hesitate as to their reliability. As a prescription from being stiffed, charge them weekly for a couple of months and then switch.