Monthly or Weekly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LightningLawns, Jan 18, 2005.

1. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I see that some of you guys charge weekly. Do you actually make more money that way all year long? I think if you charge monthly and get the same amount all year long, it works out for you in the slow months. What works for you?
  2. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

i do my billing weekly which is a pain the the butt but its easier to keep track of things , as for secrvices i think that monthly you could get the upper hand with it , during the dry season but they may ask for more cuts in the growing season. ive got some account that could use 3 cuts per weeks to keep them looking glorious ,so its all depending on the customers that would differentiate my chooice for monthly vs weekly billing services
  3. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I mow every week in the summer, sometimes turns out to be 5 times a month, and every other week in the winter, sometimes once every three weeks. Everyone seems happy, no complaints as of yet, and the slow season is almost over!
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

oh please dont say the slow season is over yet, am only working 20 hr a week now and injoying every min. summer comes to fast and so does the 60hr work week . almost all my customers are monthly
  5. BryantLandscape

BryantLandscape LawnSite Member

1 Nov-1 Mar it's every other week 1 Mar-1 Nov its every week, this is mainly for my bahia customers my st augustine customers are almost all weekly, it comes out to about 44 cuts a yr, saves them a couple bucks...

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Some customers only want to get their grass cut and only want to pay for the time you cut it.
    We try to avoid that but we still have some that are per cut. Now, we do not bill weekly. At the end of the month we invoice for the whole month and we itemize each cut.
    The year contract is the way to go. Steady work and steady income. we do break than down to 12 equal payments. All full service are yearly.
  7. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

If you do a full year contract, then how do you figure the number of times to charge for? This last year 2004 in Michigan was more cuts than 2003? Do not want to lose money but dont want to rip off customers either.
  8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

You price the job planning for the largest # of mowings. You can NEVER rip off a customer( unless you got paid in advance and left town) They get their value...the lawn looks good whether the grass was mowed 5 times this month or just looked at twice. Your costs are fixed by the month. Ins, truck and equipment costs whether you use it or not. In Jan & Feb we mulch the beds and add BIG $$$ to their regular monthly bill.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i always tell my clients anywhere from 28- 32 cuts a year. that way i cover my butt. also i get a better jump on the leaves that way i dont have as much to do at 1 time.
  10. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

this years contracts are all 31 cuts apr 1st to oct 30th...
    Grass doesn't really start to get heavy till mid april...
    Then in nov leaf clean ups start 3 times so last visist is in dec.
    Spring clean ups start in march/apr depending on weather.

we only do contracts that get paid in equal monthly payments.
    My expansion is slow but i only have quality customers.
    Same goes for snow i'm paid one price for the whole season... no snow means more dough for me alot of snow means more dough for the cust...
    Seems to work out well but I do see that my expansion is at a limited pace...