1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Monthly payment plan worries.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ENDURO, Apr 14, 2006.

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I'd like to get most of my customers on a 12 month payment plan. I've read some good success stories on here from guys who have implemented it. The customer benefits from slightly lower per month payments and I would benefit from the steady money throughout the winter. My main concern is that half way through the season, I'll have someone try and dump me for a low-baller. My residential lawn agreement is not that strong. I keep it that way on purpose as to not scare anyone. Even if I were to add all of the legal babble to make it stronger, I don't want to spend all of my time and money trying to sue people. I do good work and do what I can within reason to keep my customers happy, but that doesn't mean they won't be tempted by the low-baller. Anyone have these same concerns or had someone try and cancel on your?
  2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

The only clear way I could see how do do it is to keep a running balance as a line item on each monthly invoice. This would tell the customer at any time whether they have a credit or a balance owed to you in case service needs to be cancelled for any reason.
  3. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Well, you can base your yearly fee off of the average # of cuts that you do in your area. Here I average about 28 cuts. Then you can figure out you other costs such as fertilizer/weed treatments, mulch, etc. All these charges you should know right now. I used to do a 12 month payment but realized that I like the money at the end of the month for everything that I did that month. Plus come Dec & Jan people don't think about grass so even though you send them a bill sometimes they forget to pay.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

12 month payment schedules, only work, where you mow 12 months a year. in our area, it's a maximum of 10 month payment schedule, but preferably 8 or 9
  5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I outline in the service agreement the number and cost of each of the services we provide for them. I use CLIP to track everything and I have a clause in the contract for early cancellation. If they do cancel, I simply add up all services rendered to the point of cancellation, apply all payments received and they are either billed for the difference or a refund is issued. It's worked great for me and for the client, it takes the pain out of signing a contract.
  6. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Thats not true. I have about 10 customers that I have had for years that are on a 12 month plan. At the beginning of the season I sit down and figure out how many mows there will be on average (for me its around 35) for the year. Then I add in any extras like fert., aerating, cleanups, gutters, etc. I divide by 12 and thats what they pay me.

Its beneficial to both of us because I have money in the winter when Im not doing anything and their bill is a little lower every month.

Im not worried about them leaving because 1) I provide great service and they wont leave and 2) they signed a little piece of paper :)