Monthly Sales Report

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Aug 1, 2008.

?

How's biz lately? (you can choose more than one)

Poll closed Aug 31, 2008.
  1. Better than same month last year.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Same as same month last year.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Slower than usual.

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Better than year-to-date last year.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  5. Same or down from year-to-date last year.

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

So.

It's awefully hot and slow here. I just had a second prospect say wait until September.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

That's why I stay diversified... but lighting revenue was up for me in June, July and probably will be for August. And my main lighting season is usually October thru March.

3. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Gregg, you actually get lighting business in January? I've always experienced a slow down right after Christmas and I've always attributed it too everybody taking a rest from spending after the holidays. However, it's always been a blessing for me as I'm so busy between Sept-Dec that I'm worn out. There have been a couple years in the past eight that I've actually done more work in the last quarter than the rest of the year combined!

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, everything slows down in January, but where I used to stay busy doing a lot of dormant pruning, the last two years I've had trouble fitting all the pruning in because of lighting. I have a couple of larger ongoing jobs where I have been doing piecemeal replacement/ renovation of their 20+ y.o. lighting one area at a time.

Last winter it was driveway, parking and entry areas. This summer it's the upper backyard. Next winter will probably be the paths up the hill leading to a vista area and flagpole.

I love customers that just say "do it when you have the time" and then leave me an advance and go off on vacation somewhere. They know it gives me a sense of artistic freedom and get the best work from me that way.

5. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I think we all love those kind of customers. Why can't they all be that way? I agree a healthy deposit does help bring out more of my creative and artistic abilities. :)

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Things have slowed here for as well. I have been doing some underground communication over the past few weeks, or a local university. The irrigation work has been slow as well.

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

This has been a very slow July here. We started off the year very weill with our Jan, Feb and May doing quite well but the rest of the year has been down.

8. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Best year for us, north of the border. The rainiest year to date, never seen anything grow like it has this year, just crazy. By now, it's usually starting to brown off. Everyone is so into there yards this year, they want it all, including lights.

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

A banner year here. Never seen anything like it. The jobs are lined up and we are fully booked for new installations into late October. I hired more help to handle the load and just today sold two new large installations to add to the list.

Just finished my largest ever outdoor lighting system! 321 Fixtures on 9 zones, full UPB, and nothing but the finest spec grade product. The client is thrilled! 125 guests there this weekend so I am expecting a few refferrals out of it too.

Time to take a few days off to recuperate. :)

10. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

So far there is an even split, which suggests an overall flat market. I think this is the slowest month we've documented yet. Especially if we eliminate the foreigners (eh?).