More and More Businesses Competing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danslawncare, Nov 23, 2004.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

In my area, i've seen 20 or so new lawn care/landscaping business recently. They are coming out of the woodwork. I'm worried about loosing many jobs. I'm a small growing landscape company. Any suggustions? Do you ever worry about not finding work, or going under?

2. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Just concentrate on the job and making it the best. And you will have loyals for many many years.

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont sweat it. Just keep providing top knotch service to your customers at competitive prices. There's always going to be new businesses coming and other ones going.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with the top posts. BUt always charge according at what you think you are worth

5. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

why worry about those guys...

I live in a population of 3million++, i am not scared to charge what I'm worth.. let those guys have the lawns for $15

6. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Being spring here all the new guys are out and about.Saw three new ones in an hour this afternoon.Fastforward to May and 90% will be gone to other things. :waving:
    STUART

7. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Dan, Do you constantly worry about going out of business?

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Many will come, some will stay and some will be very good at it. So concentrate on your business.

Do good work, always on time, be competitive price wise, be accessible to your customers, cell phone and return calls promptly, keep your truck and appearance clean and neat. Do these things and you will stay busy.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, do these things and you will stay busy. but be very aware, the newcommers will set market rates. they will control your destiny. in fact they already have. i've heard from the veterans around here, that they were charging the same (or close to it) for these services 15 yrs ago. why? the competition sets the market. want a raise? you have to do more work. there is no way you can have yearly increases to keep up with inflation at a break even point, and then some. instead, you have to do more work.