More Ball Valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Mar 25, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I think I mentioned in another thread that we've been in the process of changing out (as they break) brass angle valves and gate valves on baseball and softball fields to PVC ball valves because of all the breakage problems from cranking them down too tight. Here's another one for the books. Pictures show the conversion to ball valves for manual zones that water down a skinned infield for game prep.

Picture #1: Round boxes with cast iron lids are the 2" right angle valves, two of which were broken. Round concrete lid has the 2" isolation gate valve. Stem was broken on it and the wedge was in closed position. The rectangle vault to the left contains automatic valves that are supplied from a different POC.

Picture #2: I thought the concrete was only a slurry but OOPS... 6" thick.

Picture #3: Out came the electric jack hammer.

Picture #4: Original configuration of isolation gate valve and right angle valves.

Divisadero Field #3 Infield Valves IV-01.jpg

Divisadero Field #3 Infield Valves IV-02.jpg

Divisadero Field #3 Infield Valves IV-03.jpg

Divisadero Field #3 Infield Valves IV-04.jpg

2. PurpHaze

Picture #5: New PVC ball valves installed including one as an isolation valve. Decided to work "backwards" which would give me the easiest install and final glue point.

Picture #6: Working backwards, tees and 90 el glued in.

Picture #7: Last glue joint was the short pipe between 90s in lower-right corner which gave me the greatest amount of flex. Piece of cake.

Picture #8: Semi-finished (dirt would be brought in next day to finish backfill). Round box is isolation valve and Jumbo rectangle box is the three ball valves for the zones.

Divisadero Field #3 Infield Valves IV-05.jpg

Divisadero Field #3 Infield Valves IV-06.jpg

Divisadero Field #3 Infield Valves IV-07.jpg

Divisadero Field #3 Infield Valves IV-08.jpg

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Hayes, that's a good looking manifold. Only thin I would like to see is a little more room between the valve and the tees. That way the entire manifold doesn't have to be replaced. Just my thoughts.

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

That looks neat, Hayes. All of dem valves lined up nicely! While understanding wanting to get away from the brass gate valves I'm still a bit shocked that you didn't go with brass ball valves.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You and me both Critical.What was he thinking?
    Purp did these himself..you can tell by the neat and tidy glueing.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I would have used these:

[​IMG]

I'll never understand the practice of pouring concrete around valve boxes.

7. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I agree, I have had a lot of problems with those plastic ball valves. If get alot of pressure behind those things they are almost impossible to open or close. It looks nice and neat.

8. PurpHaze

I actually thought about keeping the tees outside the box and giving it more room for future maintenance. Judgement call as I decided to keep everything compact.

9. PurpHaze

Thanks CC. Our maintenance plumbers use brass ball valves all the time while we do not. Main reason is that the connection of the handle to the valve is a very weak point in my opinion and it's extremely subject to rusting. I haven't come across a brass ball valve in the ground yet that didn't have some sort of problem with it's handle from rust up to and including the handle snapping off when you try and operate it. The plumbers are always replacing their brass ball valves but they keep putting them in. :dizzy:

10. PurpHaze

LOL... Sanka veddy much. Sometimes I can even type neatly. :laugh:

Looks similar to a curb stop. The main reason I didn't use something like it is that I wanted to get all tools out of the hands of site groundsworkers, coaches and do-gooders that might activate these zones. Now they have to get down on their hands and knees to activate the zones. Perhaps they'll be a little more careful now. :hammerhead:

Me neither but it happens all the time. You can see in one of the pictures where there is a "broken up" concrete area to the left of where I did this repair job. That's from about four years ago when I had to repair the main line that runs through this area. It's never been re-concreted.