More Bus threads on growth etc

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tim Wright, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to see more Business threads on growth in terms of lawns, money & profits, numbers of crews, etc, and as an example, the thread that we had awhile back about a million dollars and those in that time frame were good threads.

Here is what I am thinking.

This year, I went from 30-35 lawns to adding 3 larger apartment contracts, and next week I will be working on another 3 apartment contracts per an agreement from last fall.

I can handle all of this by myself in I sweat it, and fairly easily with another guy helping me, of which is already a done deal. I will be hiring one helper. This is with my current equipment of one 52" Ferris ztr, a 36" hydrocut, a backup push mower, and Stihl power equipment.

I was also planning on trying to add another 150-300 residential accounts on top of all of this.

However, at this stage I am thinking about just servicing well what I have and paying a few things down. If I did get into a major growth spurt of residentials I would have to add another ztr and duplicates of the Stihl power tools. I would also have to hire another two guys. I have guys always asking me if I need employees. I have one guy that would be good, but expensive, and if I did not grow expidentialy, it would cost me dearly.

I also have final grading that will be coming up.

So if you had this outlook in your business what would you do?

How does your outlook for growth look like for this year? What is it going to entail for you (hiring, equipment purchases, etc)?

Any other thoughts along these lines?

Tim

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Tim, first of all, adding 150 to 300 accounts is a very big step. Figure on needing much more equipment (including trucks and trailers) and a helluva lot more manpower to begin with.

As for me in 07, I bought out one small outfit last December with about 40 accounts or so. All my hiring is done for the year basically unless I hit some kind of windfall or another acquisition. Recently purchased another Ferris 72" Z and 61" WB...right now I am at 11 big machines, smallest being a 52" WB.

I wish you great $ucce$$ in 07 too.

3. Tim Wright

I think I am at my ceiling for growth for this year. My goal is to be the company to answer to in the area here. But all in good time.

What kind of accounts do you have?

What size lots are most of your residentials?

What size are your crews and how many lawns do they handle in a week?

What software are you using to schedule, route, track, and job cost?

Tim

4. rodfather

1. mostly residential, some commerical

2. most are 2 - 3 acres, bunch of 5's and some over 10

3. 3 man crews, around 90 - 100 each right now

4. Quickbooks and Exxel

5. Tim Wright

At this rate, I should be able to handle a good bit more with the equipment that I have. I should be able to add another 20 residentials at least.

BTW-Your minimum charge must be way more than mine at the numbers you posted in the "Money Talks" thread.

Tim

6. rodfather

I have very few small lawns anymore Tim...small being like 35 or 40 bucks or so.

7. Tim Wright

Well compared to what you are doing per week, that is what I am doing in one month -a little more, unless I get these other three contracts, with one other guy helping, and the equipment posted above.

I need to change something.

I would like to hire another guy, but I am afraid that I will not gain the business to support the move.

Tim

8. rodfather

I have more than 1 crew Tim for mowing