More Clutch problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by garyt, May 10, 2006.

1. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

I have a crapsman mower and I am having some trouble with the electric clutch.

It started where apparently the clutch came loose and bent the mounting plate that the clutch stopper is attached too and bent the bolt holding the clutch in place. The mower had died a couple of times then finally restarted and I mowed for a couple of minutes before a major shaking of the motor (bending process).

I fixed the plate and purchased a new bolt. I put it all back together and now the clutch is on when the deck switch is in the off position and if your turn the switch to on the clutch goes off. During this process I did not remove any of the wiring.

So the question is, is the clutch bad? Is it possible it malfunctioned causing the bending instead of the bolt just coming loose?

I'm trying to decide if I should take it to a local shop or just purchase a clutch and do it myself. I know how to install it but I'm a little bit unsure of myself and don't want to damage a new clutch and have to start over.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Read the top thread in this forum and post the model numbers off the tractor.

3. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

Sorry.

The mower is a Craftsman model 917.273220 with a Koehler Command Pro 24hp engine.

Thanks

4. Restrorob

I have never seen a clutch operate backwards, You only have two wires and either one can be hooked to positive current and still wouldn't operate backwards. Here's what I would check; Make sure when you straightened the stop plate it is not binding the clutch, You should be able to grab the clutch assembly and rock it back and forth against the stop plate. If is has no play something is binding it up. Also a bad bearing in the clutch will cause one to operate all the time so if it does rock remove the clutch and make sure the bearings move freely and are not locked up. Last thing is this clutch is adjustable by way of the three 3/8" nuts on each corner of the triangle, Along side of these nuts are slots where a 0.12" feeler gage can be slid into to check the air-gap. If the gap is wider than 0.12" turn each nut in a circle pattern about 1/8 turn clockwise to reduce the gap checking at all three slots.
    Just for info. this clutch is $ 214.74 from Sears.

Maybe this will help.
    Good Luck

5. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

I wanted to make sure that I was clear with the issue when you said "backwards". It's not actually spinning backwards it's just that the part to spin the belt of the deck moves when the mower starts. If I pull pull out the switch to engage the deck it shuts the clutch off.

I've checked the stop plate and everything appears to be properly installed. What does setting the air-gap do? If that doesn't work I'll probably just purchase a new one.

As far as the part goes I've been told that it was replaced by either of these 2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PTO-Clutch-For-AYP-174509-140923-124648X-warner-5215-73_W0QQitemZ7726426152QQcategoryZ82248QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Electronic-Clutch-128-84-Part-Number-174509_W0QQitemZ7764193290QQcategoryZ82240QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you know if either of these would work or should I stick with paying the extra at Sears?

6. Restrorob

7. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

I made a mistake and clutch is actually always on, switch on or off. I appoligze as I was trying to view it from sitting on the seat and thought for sure it was shutting itself off.

Anything that I should do for this? Still check the gap? Can the plug on the clutch be removed? I suspect that when it was wildly spinning when it bent everything up it pulled the wiring somewhere but everything still looks as if it's connected. I have not yet cut the cover off that is over the two wires.

Sorry again and thanks for everyones help. I don't know what I would do without this site :)

8. Restrorob

Unplug the clutch completely and if it still spins the blades it's either a locked up bearing or the friction plate got warped or bent when everything dropped down and beat it's self up. Remove it from the unit and inspect what I suggested and you should find the problem.