1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

More Customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by southerlawn, Jan 27, 2013.

1. southerlawn

southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC

So I've got all my equipment together now an a few customers, how did you guys grow your customer base when you first started. I know that advertising would be a waste of time and money until I get my reputation built up.

2. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

Your kidding all of us I hope. Advertising is one of the must important things in business. How do you expect for people to know who you are without advertising.
    J.C penny the founder of one of our nations most successful and long lasting department stores was asked once what would he do if he was down to his last dollar. He said he would buy 50 cents worth of merchandise and 50 cents advertising. Get your signs on your truck and mailers in the mail and internet . I'm sure you have all this equipment. How do you expect to pay for it or keep it maintained. You have to advertise my friend. You'll see all the other responses.

3. southerlawn

from Hays NC

I have advertising for the truck, business cards and some brochures, outside of this I see no more need to spends $100's more in the beginning.

4. kandalawncaremgr

Well I guess if your ok with working with just the customers you have now that's great.

5. kandalawncaremgr

How many weekly customers you have.

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Get a few thousand black and white flyers printed up at Kinko's and buy some plastic bags with a hole in the top to place on door knobs. This will only cost you a few hundred bucks.

You have to do this or you will be screwed.

It's a numbers game. You place those 2000 flyers and you're gonna get 5-20 new customers. This is assuming you answer your phone when they call.

7. kandalawncaremgr

Hey creative,
    Where can I find them bags at?

8. southerlawn

from Hays NC

door hangers are out due to town and county laws got 15 lawns a week right now

9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

Dang...I bought them years ago. They even say Lawn care on them. I'll google...

10. CreativeLawncareSolutions