more dot cdl questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Funfunfun, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion is just better to have a class B. at some point we all combine truck and trailer weight to be over limit you don't want DOT to stop you and you out of class:waving:

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Happened to me 2 years ago, got pulled over with a 450 hauling a 7 ton equipment trailer. The cop called it a learning experience. I'm glad he did, the fine was over 5k and I would have lost my license for 30 days :cry:

3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

In Texas it's the class A CDL that you would want the most. The class A will allow you to drive a 18 wheeler (with air brakes endorsement) or any F750 type medium duty truck with a trailer that you could want. I drive a 09' Ram 3500 dually and pull a 21' triple 7K axle gooseneck and a 20' tandem dually dump trailer rated at 25K.

Weights and measures police here really seem to concentrate on dump trucks and 18 wheelers. Most guys try hard to stay away from getting into CDL territory but I don't find it's a big deal.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

He edited it to make his point. The laws are FEDERAL and do not vary from state to state. I have had my Class A CDL since the early nineties and o know how to read and follow a flow chart.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. CLARK LAWN

Class B wouldn't have helped you a bit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I would think with trucking being in your company name you would have a CDL and a USDOT number as well. I would assume this was why the ticket could have been so large. Here in Texas the wrong class of license will get you a $1500 tickets but violating USDOT laws is probably a much bigger violation.

I know someone here who was using his status as a farmer to avoid having to have a CDL for his steel company as well. Weights and measures threw the book at him. For true farm use trucks in Texas you can operate within 150 miles of your farm without a CDL. This may be a federal law as well.

7. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Funny that's what the cop told me, with my class B I was out of class because the trailer was over 10k and the combination exceeded 26k. Two days later we had a deckover rated for 9,950 lbs and parked the equipment trailer.

8. CLARK LAWN

Then you would've needed a Class A
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Really? I never would have guessed you need a combination license to pull a combination CMV :hammerhead:

10. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

You may want to srtudy again as Clark is correct.

A "B" would be just about worthless then wouldn't?

Well you obviously didn't know.

You bought a different trailer instead of just getting the license?