more dot cdl questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Funfunfun, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

No, I did it to avoid DOT compliance laws. We operate intrastate only and are not required to have DOT #'s/fuel tax tracking/truck logs/IFTA registration/random drug pooling/training other driver who do not have a CDL etc.... That's why we purchased another trailer Thumbs Up

What part was I incorrect about CDL requirements?

2. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Telling Clark to study. :hammerhead:

3. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

:laugh: :drinkup:

Got me on that one.

4. david bailey

david bailey LawnSite Member

thats a lot of money to get around a license. My CDL-A was pretty cheap compared to a change in equipment or a fine for being improper.

Plus side-I can haul/drive anything I might need to do a job. downside-.04 all the time so drinking is done carefully

5. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

So you'd pay to train 3 other drivers to get a CDL, or limit the truck trailer combo to one driver in place of buying a trailer anyone in the company can operate? If I was hauling a 10/20 ton tag I would agree, but hauling an extra 5k lbs? The money was well spent on the new trailer.

6. david bailey

david bailey LawnSite Member

I have trained some guys to get their CDL and let them use my 750 and 10 ton deck over to do the driving exam. I don't really have employees so my situation is different but I would rather have qualified people than taking a chance. The guys I share my lot with got busted because of a trailer with no tail lights. Once the officer dug a little he found a bunch of other infractions to fine them for. One being no CDL driving a 650 pulling a 7t trailer that was overweight(gross and axle) with defective equipment.
    My bizz is a little different and I guess the costs is there but I see as a way to get and keep qualified help. If they have a CDL they prolly already know how to operate equipment and drive a dump truck

7. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

We really only run two setups, a 16' utility trailer and a 20' deckover. They are hooked to either a 350 or 450. I know where you're coming from, if we had an install crew who were moving equipment all the time I would have done things differently.