1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

More edging and trimming than usual estimate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcdowell47, Mar 30, 2010.

1. smcdowell47

smcdowell47 LawnSite Member

I'm another one of the new guys on here. I wasn't planning on doing any commercial properties starting off just residential. However, the church I attend has open bids for their church and school so I decided why not throw a bid in. I just wanted to get some opinions from the vets of the business. How do you charge for properties that require quite a bit extra trimming and edging? Do you just figure an hourly rate? The property isn't large by any means. There is only 1 section that I would be able to use the walk behind. The rest would have to be done with a 21'' because of all the small sections of grass and stuff to mow around. Then obviously I would have to trim around everything. There is an abundance of sidewalks, curbs, bushes, and trees trim and mow around. Not to mention some chain link fence.
    I didn't know if I should charge more than usual due to the extra work and complications of the job. As of now I was figuring my hourly rate at $40/hour.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

first of all churches usually are going to go cheap if not for free so don't bid it too high, using 40$ per hr and figuring your hrs I would think might be in the ball park if its a small church. I would really have to see it though to give you my personal bid,"SMALL CHURCHES USUALLY HAVE A SMALL BUDGET"!