1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

More equipment, more accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FinerCutslawnCare, Jul 16, 2007.

1. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, just want to know your opinion on if i should make a little investment here in the next week. I do have my own lawncare bizz but i also work with a guy that is ALOT BIGGER than me. Well he was the one that tought me everything i know today and helped me get started. Well, now he wants to get out of his lawncare days and offered to sell me his stuff... He has 50 accounts he is going to "give me" already. The only reason he is giving me them is we go way back and he is a nice guy and thinks i am as good as him so his customers won't complain. He asked if i wanted to buy any of his things which include the following...

05 Exmark lazer z lc 60" (450 hours)
    02 JD 455 Diesal 60"(365 hours and comes with snow blower, thatcher, bagger and areator)
    07 JD (big mower, don't know wat it is and only has 50 hours)
    Dump box trailer
    3 echo 260 trimmers
    2 echo 260 stick edgers
    3 bp redmax blowers
    20' enclosed trailer
    Ford( mint) turbo diesal excursion (36,000 miles)

My dad says I should prolly only get the edgers, trimmers, dump trailer and 455 diesal JD(to offer more services). In my opinion i already have a lazer, trailer and a truck(even though that thing is bad as*! I guess wat i am asking is wat all you would get if you were my age and in my position. He offered all of it to me for $40,000, but i don't think i need all of it! Please every comment this because this will be a big investment for me and I just want to make sure i am doing this right! I will get pics later for you...thanks again!

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How old are you?
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I think the only thing off of his list that I'd be interested in (based on your equipment list) is the enclosed trailer and the dump trailer. and even then you really don't a bigger trailer.

I would consider an extra stick edger, but you have a pretty complete list of equipment, why go into debt if you don't have to...

A ford excursion really does you no good as a landscape vehicle.... you already have a z and a wb, and other misc equipment...Unless his stuff is newer and better than yours and you can sell some of your old stuff to get some money back thats the only reason.
  4. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

He is 16...
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd offer him $30k. You'll probably piss him off, and that will be the end of it, all the better for you.

Don't dream big. That's what I did when I was 16 and was miserable for 8 years. Went back to being my own guy and have been now for going on another 10 years.

If your dad wants to help you, and you're willing to let him, then fine.

If the guy takes $30k for it, then you can sell off what you don't need and you're better for it.

There's a reason that he's basically "dumping" it on you, other than he's a "nice guy".
  6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Your current equipment list is very impressive for anyone, much less a 16 year old. I don't see any reason to buy his equipment. Just keep doing what you have been doing, more accounts will come and you can just buy equipment when you need it as your grow. You are way ahead of the game, GOOD JOB!
  7. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

40K sounds like a bit much for the equipment you listed. If he does sell the 50 accounts to you I would have him sign a noncompete foarm for 3 years.
  8. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with most of you on your opinions. I just figured the only reason i would bye the JD Diesal is because it comes with the blower, thatcher, bagger and areator, which i don't have any of yet. As for the edgers and trimmers i will be buying them only for the purpose is he is giving me a cemetary that i always mowed with him and it is big. THat way i can have a couple people help out trim. Jusmowin...that is a good point and i will be sure to use that! All i am trying to do is just get big and make sure i am well off in the future! The only reason i want to be is i LOVE DOING THIS STUFF!
  9. Greenlandscaping

Greenlandscaping LawnSite Member

Buy what you need now. Wait 2 years if he holds onto the stuff when your even bigger now and buy it if you have floating cash and would possible start another crew even if it were to be a part time crew.
  10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Old Thread. I am sure he already made his decision.