More Federal Jobs Up for Bid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nu83, Nov 16, 2002.

1. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

2. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

That's a result of the elections last week. It's a good thing to be able to get competitive bids. I'm a solo however, and those don't fit my niche. My niche for now is a property with potential add-on services. I'm sure some of us are going to get more work from this and the "how to bid" questions are going to start appearing. Lawnsite is surely a blessing for our industry, at least for our members it is.

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

If you get any gov jobs keep in mind that they have a $2500 threshhold that any thing above has to go to 3 seperate bids, and they pick from them, usually the low bid. I had several gov jobs over the years and once you get in with them, and they learn to know you and your work they will tell you little hints on how to get around some of the gov BS. Like if they have an add on job they need done and want you to do it, because they know what kind of work you do, you can bid it as follows.

Phase One, to include the following work, $2450

Phase Two, to include the following work, $2450

Phase three, and so on

This will work OK for smaller projects, but for large projects you would want to just bid it and be done with it, it would not be feasable for 15 or 20 different phases.:dizzy:

4. bilbo7021

bilbo7021 LawnSite Member

would this include places like the local post office and social security offices? those would be nice to grab up if they were available around where I am. although I'm probably abit too small to go bidding on those things yet.

5. dhicks

dhicks Member

It may be worth the effort to bid on Govt. properties. As I understand the process, if you are awarded the contract, you can buy equipment at GSA pricing to satisfy the Statement of Work requirements. If that's the case, one could save lots of money on new mowers and such and may make it worth the paperchase to get the contract.

6. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

address changed stories, here is a similar story.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- President Bush plans to let the private sector compete for as many as 850,000 government jobs, from mowing the White House lawn to civilian positions in the military, a plan that could spark a backlash from labor unions.

White House officials said Thursday that the change could affect up to half of the federal government's civilian workforce and cut labor costs substantially as Bush looks for ways to stem growing budget deficits.

Republicans, emboldened after last week's elections gave them control of Congress, said the long-sought plan would streamline cumbersome regulations that they say benefit unions and prevent cash-strapped federal agencies from contracting out for lower-cost workers on a timely basis.

"What we're trying to do is make government work better for the American taxpayer," said White House spokesman Scott McClellan.

The changes are expected to run into opposition from organized labor and its Democratic allies in Congress.

"Given the Bush administration's record on federal employee issues, we have every reason to believe that it will be designed to the advantage of contractors and to the disadvantage of taxpayers and federal employees," said Jacqueline Simon, public policy director for the American Federation of Government Employees, the largest union for government employees with 600,000 members.

The White House said the American people expected greater efficiency from their government.

"What the proposal does is simply open it up, these non-core jobs, to competition," McClellan said. "If the government agency can provide the best service in the most cost-effective manner, then the government agency is poised to win that contract."

"I think the American taxpayer and the American people appreciate that," he added.

Under the plan, private firms could bid for an estimated 850,000 government jobs identified as "commercial" positions, from gardening to laundry to secretarial services.

The U.S. Army alone is considering contracting out more than 200,000 support jobs not directly involved in waging war.

The White House Office of Management and Budget said the changes would reduce the amount of time it takes to conduct competitive bidding for government jobs to an estimated 12 months from the current two to four years.

The White House said the savings could be in excess of 30 percent for each private-public competition.

The new rules will be opened to a public comment period, but White House officials said Bush does not need congressional approval to make the changes.

Republicans have long championed privatization, arguing that it will improve services and reduce costs.

Bush also hopes to restrain spending in areas other than defense in his fiscal 2004 budget, to be released in February.

The federal government ran a $159 billion budget deficit for the 2002 fiscal year, which ended on September 30. It was the first since 1997's deficit of $22 billion and largest since the $164 billion imbalance in 1995.

The Congressional Budget Office predicts that the government will post a $145 billion deficit in fiscal 2003 and not return to a balanced budget until 2006. Deficits would increase further if the United States goes to war with Iraq.

7. Brickman

I am sure that almost every body on this forum would consider it an honor to have his business name on the uniforms of the guys mowing the White house lawn.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're probably right, Paul. But what a nightmare going through all of the security, investigations, and on-site checkpoints being at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'd mow the White House lawn for free, just for the advertisement. I'm sure it's more than just mowing though. I wonder who does it????

10. Brickman

More than likely federal employees right now.

You are right Rodfather, the headache of security and all would be a night mare.