More FrankenScag solutions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Nov 5, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok I am really ready for the leaves now! I decided the bagger on the eXmark (big vacuum bagger remember) was not big enough for leaves although it worked great on hillsides and small areas, etc. just was spending too much time emptying it. So i took my homemade yard cart for a garden tractor, put 4' tall sides, front and rear door on it with a aluminum screen for a roof and made a mount for the tractor so the engine mounts on it and the trailer hooks up behind that. This lets you use less hose and gives alot more maneuverability around trees and such (by moving the pivot point back and not having a long tongue on the trailer). the deck boot mounted with no modifications. This thing works awesome, it is so powerful it amazed me last night when i used it on a small ocean of leaves. it's alot like the video for the Cyclone Rake. Just amazing. and it holds sooooo much more than the exmark setup too, probably 4 or 5 times as much. It's about 42 cu. ft. or so. The tractor is 20hp Onan, 48" deck with hydraulic lift and hydro drive. Pretty comfortable tractor with gobs of power for this kind of work. The setup can work at about 3.5-4 mph even in heavy thick leaves. later if i can i'll get before and after pics of a property. It should really cut down on my time alot on most props i can fit it on.

The second contraption is a side bagger for the eXmark. A friend gave me an old Scag steel side catcher, the kind that dumps while mounted on the mower. it's pretty beat up and was missing the plate to mount on the mower. I made a plate using a thick peice of wood and some misc. steel for brackets and painted it all red. Not a great job but it will get me through this fall until i have time to rebuild the thing or just build another one. this will be used for small areas that will be blown off with a blower so this won't have to hold alot just mowing off any taller grass and picking up stray leaves after blowing the lawn off. Just for a smaller lawn i do with a gate that you can barely squeeze the mower through. I can still mount the hoppers on top of the deck of the eXmark from the old bagger and dump this one into the hoppers for extra capacity if i had need to.

Both setups work really well for me and the only problem is the trailer isn't big enough!!!!! LOL. The tractor and trailer vac take up the whole trailer (12') i'm gonna experiment with different combinations to see if i can get it all on somehow. If i unhook the vac wagon and put it on sideways i think it might all fit. No big deal. When it's time to load the debris pile into the truck I just pull the tractor beside the pile, hook up a 12' exhaust hose onto the vac and hook the other end onto the truck then unhook the pipe off of the mower deck boot and rake the leaves upto the pipe and it works very well, only takes a minute to switch this over. I was raking the pile into the pipe before anyway. I should be able to charge another $5 an hour for the big vac trailer and tractor and it will still pay for itself in time savings. BTW, it's not as tall and narrow as it looks in the pics, it is about 32" wide wheel width, the box is 36" wide and the sides are 48" long by 48" high.

nov05492.jpg

2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

OMG :eek: I was thinking about building sides for my utility trailer too. Instead of wood for sides, I wanted to get some landscape fabric or something like such for the sides to allow maximum ventilation.

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

w/b bagger

nov05491.jpg

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

how do you mean that? :D
    The whole top is ventilated, 3'x4' how can you say that's not enough? It's screen like window screen not fabric though. If you have small yards keep your smaller trac vac but have it switch over to trailer for larger ones. So much nicer, also leave the engine on the mower and hook the trailer behind that, helps alot in turns. here's a pic of that. Trac Vac makes a model 560 like mine kinda with tractor mounted engine.

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

MORE LEAVES!

6. The Lawn Boy Pro

Is that a JD 65 sittin in front of that RV?

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I edited the above reply after you edited yours. here's the pic:

On edit: I don't know what model the JD is, i think it's a 65 but i'm not sure. it's not mine it's to work on for someone else. i have a '74 JD 110 of mine to fix up though :D

nov05496.jpg

8. The Lawn Boy Pro

I just sold a JD 65 for 300 to a guy 2 blocks down, no joke!

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

i beleive it, if it's green it's good for a couple hundred LOL.

10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

FSM you cease to amaze me!!!!