More info. on hydroseeders?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shawn Burns, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

Hello all,
    I have done a search on hydroseeders and have found some great information on them, thank you to all that have posted with your knowledge on this subject! I realize that the Finn,Turfmaker, and a few others are the popular choice, and that you get what you pay for, but i still have some questons. Would it be silly to buy a cheaper machine first (i'm looking at a turbo turf HS 300 E $3995) since i won't be doing huge areas, and then if all goes well in a year or two buy a bigger, better machine? I have a few builders who are interested in the service. They, combined will build about 20-30 houses a year, and also some other landscapers that i have talked to have said they would be interested also. Most lawns to be seeded would be in the 5,000-10,000 sq. ft. range. I would not be relying on this service to be a sole income, just looking to diversify. I checked the HTPA site, and from what i gather you have to be a member to get any info. . I don't want to join if i'm not sure that i will be buying one yet. Thanks again for any ideas or suggestions!!

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I would double what you want to spend and buy a TurfMaker 400 gallon unit. You can easily mix 180 lbs of wood mulch (it's the best mulch to use) plus tack. I'm no expert in this area but I've found that 1500 lbs of mulch or more per acre works best. We are pushung our customers to 2000 lbs of mulch per acre on the flat areas and 2500 to 3000 lbs on slopes.

Heres a quick work sheet I use for my figures.

Attached Files:

3. Shawn Burns

from N.C.

Thanks Paul !!
    I looked at the Turf Maker 400, it will cost me about $10,000 around here. I don't doubt that it is a good unit, but wondered if i could get into this a little cheaper. Maybe i should just bite the bullet and spend the money!!!
    Also, where do y'all get your water? do you have a meter and pay once a month on what you used or what?
    Thanks again for the info!!

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

5. Shawn Burns

from N.C.

Thanks once again paul. Got some info. on the way.
    Does anybody own or run a Turbo Turf or know someone who has? If so i would love to hear how they like it.

6. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Shawn,

I would lean towards the 400 gallon Turfmaker. This is the reason:

Say you get these builders to throw 20 new builds at you. You said they will run between 4 and 10 thousand square feet. We'll use 7,000 square feet as an average figure. That gives you 140,000 square feet to seed. The price I use for 7,000 square feet is $0.0875 per square. That gives you a profit of $12,250.00 before material costs are taken out. Material costs should run you between $2,800 and $3,300. So you are pulling in the area of $8,500.00 before taxes and all that fun stuff.

So you lease the 400 gallon Turfmaker for 2 years. Your first 20 jobs damn near pays the machine off.

I know this is a long path to follow but this is my point. If you buy quality right off the bat, you don't have to worry about going back and buying another machine. My dealer won't even take poly tanks on a trade in for a new mechanically agitated machine. The difference between jet and mechanical agitation is night and day.

We have a 900 gallon Turfmaker that is the greatest thing since sliced bread, in my opinion. You throw 6 to 8 bales of Conwed in per load and you are pumping a thick slurry in no time flat.

Also you have to figure the money that you will make prepping the job. You will be O.K. finance wise as long as the builder isn't yanking your chain and the customer you are working for pays in a timely manner.

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Guido, it also has articles on retaining walls and will help a few here on lake and stream bank erosion!

10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

about 15 magazines (at least) between construction and landscaping industries, 3 personal ones, and all the company and product "junk" literature they can pile into my box.

I wish I had time, but I never get to do more than a "skim through" on about 10 of them. They all have some great articles, and if nothing else, they're great to have as refrences.

If I find an article or clipping I really like, I punch holes in it and catogorize it in a binder. In about 3 months my "stack" of magazines and brochures gets to be 4 foot tall, so I can't save it all! :(