More insulation pics

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by BufalinoLand, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

more pics, just getting hang of uploading

100_0052.1.JPG

100_0054.jpg

100_0056.jpg

100_0057.jpg

100_0058.jpg

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting.

Is this post referencing another?

What is going to cover all the hole saw holes?

How were you able to make sure you didn't drill through pipes, wires, etc?

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

ummmmm....I assume you are blowing it? I've seen a ton of it blown in, but I sure have never seen it blown in quite like that, esp with that big of and that many closely spaced holes....but hey it's your job not mine. :waving:

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

im with MM on that, ive seen it blown in a lot as i am on a lot of housing development sights with dad, how does that work?

5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Dump the Celulose into the hopper on the blower, stick the hose in the hole and when it stops you move to the next one, plug the holes with little plastic plugs, most people do it right before the put siding on as you cover it with the foam board and the siding, the holes are one per stud bay about every 3 or 4 feet verticallly if i remember correctly, but its more fun to just stand in the attic and blow it 12-14 inches deep

6. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I'm in the insulation business as well, and have been my whole life. We don't do a lot of retro jobs like that one, just because we're too busy with new construction. However, we have always done it from the inside of the house.

We mostly do wall batt jobs, and wall insulation spider spray jobs.

Watch out for that celulose....it is afterall just ground up news paper.

Looks like you are doing a nice job.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've also heard of it blown in from the inside.

But my main concern still pertains.....What about pipes and electric?

We're putting a new Kitchen in our soon to be rental. Between all the radiator pipes and water and sewer pipes in the walls, it makes it hard to just cut out for a few extra outlets without really researching whats behind the plaster.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

by using a hole saw and asl long as you are between studs, you shoudl be OK on hit any lectric or pipe...

I just had my attic blown I have about an r value of 40-50 right now and just put new siding with the foam backer as well. the climate inside the house is much much better...

9. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

We cap the 2inch holes with special plastic caps, I glue them on so I dont have to come back if they fall out

As for the pipes and electric, I havnt hit any yet, we rarely do wall jobs, mostly proper vent the attics and blow em in

We just do it on the weekends for beer and gun money

We have around 15k involved, bought some guns and lots of beer and will make our final payment this month

Not bad for 2 years of winters

going rate for attics is roughly .80-1.00 depending on how many square and ease of job

walls are anywhere from 1.50-2.00

we have only been working with fiber glass, but our machine will handle cellulose too

I wear a respirator,so im around to spend some of that gravy this summer

This is what happens when I drink, I come up with new ways to make money

Its hard godamn work being this good, I tell my friends

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Not in either of my houses! But then again, both are around 60+ years old.

Hit a sewer pipe, heating pipe, maybe you'll get lucky and they will be cast iron pipe. But with my luck, I'd nick a copper pipe, or a PVC sewer pipe and end up paying to have a plumber tear apart the entire wall or repair flood damage.

From the outside, how do you know where the studs are?

Hit electric wires...you'll just get juiced a bit maybe. But replacing wiring isn't a walk in the park either.

Just too risky for me. I'd rather do something simple for beer money. But thats just me.