more new guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, Apr 12, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

well last week i seen a new kid and helped him out with something because he has no clue to what he's doing. then just 2 nights ago i seen 2 new guys that i have never seen before and surprisingly they waved before i did, either they must have seen me before and want no trouble or they could actualy be nice. got me but how many new guys have you guys seen this year.
  2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Just myself, because I am new. I respect the estabslished LCOs here, and we all speak to each outher when seen.
    This is not an easy biz, and I admire anyone who has sacrificed in order to do this full time, and survive.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm the new guy too! And actually, when I'm out and about doing my work, I don't have time to interact with the other guys nor do I care too. If we cross paths and say "Hi" that's fine, if not so be it. I'm not intimated by big or small LCO's. They do their thing and I do mine. I am concerned about doing the best job I possibly can and give a fair price, that's it. Really don't think much about the others!
  4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Im really just getting started myself. I have to say I also admire and respect the guys in my area. Always try to speak. Even have a couple guys that are looking to give me some of there less desireable accounts. Hey for me its a start and they are usually small yards. They are even recommending me for some that they are just too busy to handle. I in turn send people to them that are just too big for my walkbehind. We are all doing the same thing and for now in my area there are plenty to go around.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have always taken the time to talk to other landscaper while out working. Doing so is probly one of the best ways besides lawnsite to get ahead in this rat race! I have always exchanged ideas or tricks with guys and they have done the same with me. Off course there are the guys who would like me dead for "strealing" there lawns but for the most part I get along with most of the locals!
  6. gway

gway LawnSite Member

call me crazy butttttttt....
    werent we all new at sometime??? im sick of all these people crying around here talking about all these new co startin up shop!!! there is nothin wrong with a little competition now and then. i like the new guys and i try to help them out with my knowledge and make sure they are being safe and wise in thier buis plans. soooo please.... the next time you start complaining about all these new comp remember back to when you first started out. did you have a 1 ton hauling a 6/12 enclosed trailer pushen 48s all day long...

ok gotta run now...that was my word for the day!!!
  7. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

I am somewhat new to the business, and I always wave to fellow lawnsmen just out of common curtousy
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree gway, we were all new at one time. Maybe those who are soooooooooooooo intimitated just dont do a very good job. I would be extatic if all i had to worry about was some guy in a minivan with 2 push mowers.
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

well, when i get my equipment i will be new also. i don't see the big deal. more and more people want someone to maintain their lawn, it's not like one company or person can handle every single yard in a city.
  10. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Its always a good idea to make friends(NOT ENIMEIES!) with your competition. This can prevent hassels later on down the road. Plus if you are friends, they will be less likely to go after your accounts, especially the commercial ones. Give a wave to your fellow co-workers as you might want to call them, and keep you head screwed on straight on the idea of the new guys. The posts prior to mine are right, everybody started out sometime, with some equipment. Some people had better stuff starting out than others but we all have worked hard and have moved up. Those who haven't are doing something else these days. Keep working hard and relax when is comes to the new guys, be friendly!