1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

more pictures

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Sunscaper, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Here's another job we did this fall. The fieldstone coping and waterfall.

2. Burch's Lawn Care  LLC

Burch's Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

great job again
  3. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Nice job may I ask what you charge?
    We do landscaping but sub out all pavers and pool deck work.
    You can PM me the price if you want.

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice job, In fact, awesome job, oneday Ill be able to do that?
  5. Sunscaper

You can do it tomorrow if you want to. I'll help you out all I can. It's really no that hard to do. If you need help PM me and I'll do what I can for you.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

nice work...
    1/3 of our company is pool service.

looks nice, but i see one very large liability.

In NC you cannot have any more than 3/8 inch of disparaty between surfaces (a lip)...it is a trip hazard.

some of those stoes used for the coping are raised above the deck, and a few have sharp edges..
    someone could snag thier foot on those and fall into the pool and drown....

here, that would not pass.
  7. Sunscaper

This pool was probably one of the first here to have natural stone. The concrete guys really were p.o.'d about the finish. I had one guy sorting through the piles for hours finding 2-2&1/2" thick pieces the fit over the masonite. I liked the challenge but would not want to do this everyday.

I am not in the pool business but I think the only laws here are that a child safety fence must be installed on every new pool. I really liked this pool alot. I have one similar at my house but it has that goofy pebble tech deck. i cannot wait until i can build my own house and pool and do the whole pool deck in stone. Frankly, I'm shocked the builder wanted to do this much stone. Thanks for your comments.
  8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a far cry from a mason, but to me, the coping and waterfall don't exactly look like a "nice job"...

There's WAY too much mortar showing for my liking. It probably would have driven me nuts to do the job, but I personally would have spent a bunch of time fitting pieces together to eliminate those wide mortar joints. Same with the waterfall.

The stone should be what draws your eye, not the mortar. Which isn't the way it is on this job.

Just my opinion. Like I've said before on other topics, take it for what it cost you....
  9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Mortar joints are way to big. Were you running short on stone or something??

Also, thats not the stone you want to use for pool coping. People are going to be tripping on it!
  10. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

not being a mason, i wouldn't have noticed that there is more than normal mortar. question- where the waterfall is, is there some kind of big "mound mold" or something? I mean, how do you get it all to stack up like that? I know you use mortar to hold it all together, but you have rocks vertical on the face then you have them stacked horizontally on top. is it just all mortared with a dirt mound underneath? personally, i would love to have a pool like that in my back yard. did the customers like it?