More Pipe Art

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Apr 23, 2008.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We're going through the site where a Watertronics booster pump station was installed after the irrigation was switched from well/pump to domestic supply. Completed a section of the field and then activated it over the weekend for three straight nights so water could get to a very thirsty area.

Ran into this lateral line break. It was caused by the original contractor having everything in a bind and then not sufficiently cutting out the valve box end for the 2-1/2" lateral line. Vehicles pass over this box which then settled onto the pipe and applied enough pressure to break the SCH 80 nipple. Did our normal 90/90 reroute to relieve the pressure and all is fine now. No part of the new box will come into contact with any of the piping. If I have future problems with box breakage in this area then I'll switch the valve boxes out to Christy concrete boxes with cast iron lids.

Goshen Valve Repair 4-22-08 IV-01.jpg

Goshen Valve Repair 4-22-08 IV-02.jpg

Goshen Valve Repair 4-22-08 IV-03.jpg

Goshen Valve Repair 4-22-08 IV-04.jpg

Goshen Valve Repair 4-22-08 IV-05.jpg

2. RainmanMN

RainmanMN LawnSite Member

Man that looks like easy diggin. Everywhere I've been lately has been clay/rock combo.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

It's alkali soil that is VERY hard when dried out... but considering it ran like this for an hour straight over three successive nights there was a two-wheelbarrow sized hole under the whole thing. I really didn't have to dig it out... rather just cave in part of the sides and I had a sufficient hole to step down into and make the repairs. Then I called in the troops who brought dirt out in a dump truck to fill the hole and level out the surrounding area. :)