more power please

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MacLawnCo, Aug 6, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

This last week, ive been experiencing phenomenal growth on my lawns, and frankly the 14 kaw on my 48" metro is feeling a tad maxed out. Im looking at a Viking or Turf Tracer for next year and want to suggest that you put at least a 17 kaw on the 48" viking, with a 19 kaw being an even better option for 48" decks. Also, PLEASE have your engineers develope HD air filters for the smaller walkbehinds like the TThp and Viking.

Another thing that i want to suggest you pass on to the engineers that would make your mowers stand out even more:
    on the floating decks, have them figure out a way to put a 1/4" washer between the blade and spindle while still maintaining the blade height in relation to the bottom of the baffles. That way, when the user decides to run double blades they can remove the washer and put a second blade where the washer was. Doing this will allow both blades to be up in the deck and eliminate any blowout problems associated with double blades on your decks.

Please, if you only get this out of my post: put more power on the Viking and TThp (a 19 Kaw with a HD filter would be ideal)

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks Mac,

If you don't mind jumping up to the 52" deck you may want to look at the Turf Tracer with a 20 hp Kohler. At less than $6k it's got a lot going for it. Canister air filter, electric start, electric PTO, heavier front and rear frame less maintenance as well as large tires.

I will pass all your comments along to our engineering staff.

Thanks

Terry

3. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Terry,

I agree that the 48" metro/viking need more power than a 15hp. My 48" metro with 15koh is way lacking on power. it would be nice to have a 17 or 19 for the thick lawns we have in the south. I know you mentioned the TT 52" with 20hp but almost 6k is a lazer in my book. for just under 3k the 48 metro is nice and easier to purchase than a 6k WB. Don't forget the entry level machines need power too along with the Bigger WB's.

As the saying goes, more power is never enough.

Scot

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Adding more engine power is good, but at some point I've found that the problem in really high and thick grass seems to be getting the high volume of grass out of the deck , not a lack of engine power. A deck jammed full of grass material, cut and uncut, will require so much torque to move blades through it at speed that I would assume the friction potential of the belts would be overcome, or the strength of the belt would be overcome and it would snap. Adding more power would just make the belts burn or snap faster, I'd think.

On more reasonable but still high growth, I haven't noticed the problem being engine power on either my 12.5hp 32 or 36" decks or my 16hp 44" deck wb's, but again, getting the clippings cut and out w/o clumping and getting everything inside the deck cut cleanly. And again, I think the problem is the clipping volume, not just power.

I'd ask instead for adjustable baffles for differing conditions ala the new Toro Turbo Force decks. I'd rather pay $300 more for that feature than just more power. A twin 14hp kawi is no slouch, though I agree that 17hp would be better on wider decks.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Terry

He said 48" mowers need more power.

We'er not talking 52" here. I agree 48" mowers need more powerand many of the other features that the Turf tracers have. Take a look at the hustler super walkbehinds. a 48" with 23hp, large tires, electric clutch, etc.. This has been mentioned before.
    Pleas treat the smaller mowers to the same features as the big rigs. Not everyone wants or can use a 52" and larger.
    including me.

6. eXmark

Thanks guys,

I've alreay passed this information along to our engineering staff.

Thanks

Terry

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree!

I'd like to see 17hp on a 48" Metro.

I'd like to see 19hp on a 48" Viking

I'd like to see 19hp on a 48" TTHP

I'd like to see all available with electric start.

And I'd still like to see a 44 Inch deck option available on walkbehinds. If you had one on a Viking chassis with at least a 17hp engine, I'd buy one RIGHT NOW!!!

I have way too many 46" gates that are a PITA to sidestep into with my 48". The 44 would slide right in!

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not a 44" deck on Exmark walk behinds??? Your sister/brother company Toro has had one for years.

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why no reply Exmark ???????????

10. eXmark

EJ,

Sorry for the delay.

I have forwarded your suggestions to our engineering group for review.

I am curious however how often you run into gates greater than 36" but less than 48". It's obviously a need otherwise you wouldn't be asking for it. Send me a private message to terry.eckert@exmark.com or call me at 800-667-5296 at your convenience.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Terry