More Power?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RTallday, Jun 2, 2004.

1. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

This may come across as a dumb question, but I need a little advice. Does more horsepower out of an engine mean a higher blade tip speed? Im thinking of swapping one of my 15 kawis and putting on a 17 to give me that little bit of power im looking for. Its strange, one of my bobcat 48s (both are 15 kawis) seems to be faster and seems to cut better than the other, same setup on both. Any input would be great. Thanks.

-Rich

2. check the rpm's ..set em at 3750 with the blades spinning at no load

3. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

The horsepower rating has nothing to do with blade tip speed. Blade tip speed is controlled by the rpm that the motor runs at top speed. Generally all motors that come on these types of mowers run at 3600 rpms from the factory but like odin said you can adjust them to get a little more which will give you a little more blade tip speed. The extra horsepower will help to power through thicker and taller grass with less rpm drop on the mower which should help cut quality.

4. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Thanks both of you guys, im going to try that tomorrow morning, cause tomorrow is maintenance day (at least a couple hours). Thanks again, ill let you know how it works.

-Rich

5. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Now then, let me ask you guys this. Which screw on the carb is the idle adjustment screw? Its a 15 kawi twin. Thanks again.

-Rich

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Idle adjustment only affects the idle speed, not top rpm. You will have to turn it wide open, connect an RPM meter and adjust the govenor to 3750 or whatever no load (deck off).

On a side note, is 3750 no load even safe for all engines?

7. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

All right then, how would one go about adjusting the governer on this motor? I ALWAYS do my own maintenance, but have never dealt with adjusting a carb before. Thanks

-Rich

8. under the air cleaner ..there are a couple 10 mm bolts ..that are on a movable plate like ..losen the bolts move the plate up for higher rpm.

the kawasaki can take up to 3800 under no load..my new toro's came 383o from the factory.

Adjust the rpm's to 3750 with the blades spinning not cutti ng grass but sitting still with them spinning .....only on the vtwins ..the old flatheads are not designed to handle over 3600 .our vtwins have been at this setting since day one on the walkbehinds .

9. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Well, I did it. I moved the braket up a bit and got the result i was looking for. Much better clip discharging and a bit more speed. I will have to check the actual rpms though, i dont wanna blow the engine up. Thanks again for the advice.

-Rich